Significance of Autoantibodies to Purified Proteinase 3 in Systemic Vasculitis
Proteinase 3 was purified from human neutrophils and used in ELISA to examine sera from 150 patients with systemic vasculitis. It was found to be the major target of autoantibodies in Wegener’s granulomatosis, and anti-proteinase 3 antibodies were also found in some patients with microscopic polyarteritis. Anti-proteinase 3 antibodies were associated with a chronic relapsing course.
KeywordsHuman Neutrophil Systemic Vasculitis Primary Granule Primary Systemic Vasculitis Royal Postgraduate Medical School
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Borregaard, N., Heiple, J.M., Simons, E.R., and Clark, R.A. 1983. Subcellular localisation of the bcytochrome component of the human neutrophil microbicidal oxidase translocation during activation. J. Cell Biol. 87: 52-61.Google Scholar
- Ewert, B.H., Jennette, J.C., and Falk, R.J. 1992. Anti-myeloperoxidase antibodies stimulate neutrophils to damage human endothelial cells. Kidney Int. 38: 998-1010.Google Scholar
- Falk, R.J. Terrell, R.S., Charles, L.A., and Jennette, J.C. 1990. Anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies induce neutrophils to degranulate and produce oxygen radicals in vitro. Proc.NatlAcad.Sci. US.A. 87: 4115-4119.Google Scholar
- Gabay, J.E. Scott, R.W., Campanelli, D., Griffith,J., Wilde, C., Marra M.N., Seeger, M., and Nathan C.F. 1989 Antibiotic proteins of human polymorphonuclear leukocytes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci l%S.A. 86: 5610-4.Google Scholar
- Goldschrneding, R., van der Schoot, C. E. , ten Bokkel Huinink, D., Hack, C. E., van den Ende, M. E., Kallenberg, C. G. M., and von dem Borne, A. E. G. Kr. 1989. Wegener’s granulomatosis autoantibodies identify a novel diisopropylfluorophosphate-binding protein in the lysosomes of normal human neutrophils. JClin Invest84:1577-1587.Google Scholar
- Lüdemann, J., Utecht, B., and Gross, W. L. 1990. Anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibodies in Wegener’s granulomatosis recognize an elastinolytic enzyme. JExp Med 171:357-362.Google Scholar
- Niles, J. L., McCluskey, R. T., Ahmad, M. F., and Amin Arnaout, M. 1989. Wegener’s granulomatosis autoantigen is a novel neutrophil serine proteinase. Blood74:1888-1893.Google Scholar
- Savage, C.O.S., Pottinger, B.E., Gaskin,G., Pusey,C.D., and Pearson, J.D. 1992. Autoantibodies developing to myeloperoxidase and proteinase 3 in systemic vasculitis stimulate neutrophil cytotoxicity towards cultured endothelial cells. Arn.J.Pathol in press.Google Scholar
- Wilde, C.G., Snable, J.L., Griffith, JE., and Scott, R.W. 1990. Characterization of two azurophil granule enzymes with active site homology to neutrophil elastase. J. Biol. Chem. 265: 2038-41.Google Scholar