Strain Reduced Critical Current In Bi-2223/Ag Superconductors Under Axial Tension and Compression
The critical current of Ag sheathed Bi(Pb)SrCaCuO-2223 tape conductors is investigated as a function of various strain components. A reduction of the critical current occurs due to both tensile or a compressive strain. The critical current reduction is qualitatively similar with the results as observed in Bi-2212 conductors. An axial compression leads to an immediate critical current reduction. The critical current in an axially elongated sample remains nearly constant up to a certain limit typically close to 0.3% strain. For a larger elongation the critical current reduces rapidly. A transverse pressure acting on the tape surface leads also to an irreversible critical current reduction. This behaviour is compared with the influence of an axial compression with an effective Young’s modulus. The deformation induced critical current reductions in Bi-2223 conductors can be described by a model that is already proposed for Bi-2212 conductors. This model is based on the irreversible nature of the critical current reduction due to a certain deformation.
KeywordsAxial Strain Compressive Strain Axial Compression Critical Current Strain Dependence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. ten Haken et al., Compressive and Tensile Axial Strain reduced Critical Currents in Bi-2212 Conductors, ASC-94 Boston, USA, to be published in IEEE trans. on Superconductivity (1995).Google Scholar
- 2.B. ten Haken et al., A descriptive model for the critical current as a function of axial strain in Bi-2212/Ag wires, MT-14 Tampere, Finland 1995, to be published in IEEE Trans. on Magnetics.Google Scholar
- 3.B. ten Haken, A. Godeke and H.H.J, ten Kate, Thin influence of various strain components on the critical parameters of layer shaped Nb3Sn, Adv. in Cryo. Eng. (Materials) 40:875 (1993).Google Scholar
- 4.J.W. Ekin et al., Improved uniaxial strain tolerance of the critical current measured in Ag-sheathed Bi2Sr1Ca2Cu208+x superconductors, Adv. in Cryo. Eng. (Materials) 38:1041 (1994).Google Scholar
- 5.T. Kuroda et al., Effects of strain on the critical current in Ag-sheathed BiSrCaCuO tapes, Adv. in Cryo. Eng. (Materials) 38:1045 (1994).Google Scholar