Magnetostimulated Inhomogeneity of Electric Field in Aluminum
The peculiarities of potential and current distribution in metals under inhomogeneous action of magnetic field is studied experimentally and analytically. Magnetic field inhomogeneity is modeled with a method of curving the electric current lines in rectangular conductors through the use of preset profiles of samples. Observed inhomogeneous distribution of electric potential is analyzed on the base of charge continuity. It is shown that current density redistribution takes place. Near one side current density is high and near another it is small. This is a reason of decrease of an effective cross-section of conductor with respective enhancement of magnetoresistance. Some analytical relations and modes of applications of observed phenomena in cryogenic electronic devices are proposed.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Potential Distribution Magnetic Field Gradient Hall Current Residual Resistance Ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.V.I. Gostishchev, A.A. Drozd and S.E. Dem’yanov, Electric field distribution in aluminum in strong magnetic fields, Sov.J.Low Temp.Phys. 4: 532 (1978).Google Scholar
- 5.Yu. A. Bogod, Vit.B. Krasovitsky and E.T. Lemeshevskaya, Direct current skinning in inhomogeneous bismuth single crystals, Fiz.Nizk. Temp. 11: 161 (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.Yu. A. Bogod, Vit.B. Krasovitsky and K.T. Lemeshevskaya, Heat flux skinning in Bismuth, ibid. 13: 1087 (1987).Google Scholar
- 7.G.J.L. Bruis, J. Bass, A.P. van Gelder, H. van Kempen, and P. Wyder, Linear magnet oresistance due to sample thickness variations: Application to aluminum, Phys.Rev.B. 32: 1927 (1985)Google Scholar
- 9.O.R. Christianson and J.H. Parker, Anomalous magnetoresistance mechanisms, in: “Advances in Cryogenic Engineering (Materials)”, Plenum Press, New York and London (1994), v.40A, p.425.Google Scholar
- 10.N. Yanagi, T. Mito, K. Takahata, M. Sakamoto, et al., Experimental observation of anomalous magnetoresistivity in 10–20 kA class aluminum-stabilized superconductors for the large helical device, ibid. p.459.Google Scholar
- 11.O.N. Mazurenko, V.R. Sobol, and A.A. Drozd, Magnetodynamics of conduction electrons in Al in inhomogeneous field, Low Temp.Phys 21: 59 (1995).Google Scholar