AC Magnetic Field Losses in BSCCO-2223 Superconducting Tapes
The AC magnetic losses at power frequencies (60 Hz) were investigated for mono-and multifilament Ag-sheathed (Bi, Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3Oy (BSCCO-2223) tapes with similar Ic values at 77K. The multifilament sample exhibited higher losses than the monofilament under the same conditions. Loss peaks are discussed in terms of intergranular, intragranular and eddy current losses. Because of BSCCO’s anisotropy, field orientation has a large effect on the magnitude of these peaks, even at relatively small angles. Losses for fields applied parallel to the c-axis of the textured BSCCO grains are larger by over an order of magnitude than those applied perpendicular.
KeywordsApplied Magnetic Field Loss Peak Field Orientation Critical State Model Bean Critical State Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. N. Wilson, “Superconducting Magnets”, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1983, p. 182Google Scholar
- 3.K. H. Muller, “AC Susceptibility of High temperature Superconductors in a Critical State Model”, Physica C 159 (1989) pp. 717–726; K. H. Muller, M. Nikolo, R. Driver, “Flux Pinning at Grain Boundaries in Bi-Pb-Sr-Ca-Cu-O Ceramic Superconductors”, Physical Review B, 43 No. 10 (1991) pp. 7976–7979.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.W. J. Carr, Jr., “AC Loss and Macroscopic Theory of Superconductors”, Gordon and Breach New York (1983) pp. 39–88.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Orehotsky, K.M. Reilly, M. Suenaga, T. Hikata, M. Ueyama, K. Sato, “AC Losses in Powder-in-Tube Bi2Ca2Sr2Cu3O10 Tapes at Power Frequencies”, Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 60, No. 2, pp. 252–254, 13 Jan. 1992; Y. Fukumoto, H.J. Weisman, M. Suenaga, P. Haldar, “Comparison of Magnetically Induced and Transport Current AC Losses in Silver-Sheathed (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3O10 Tapes”, Physica C 269 (1996) 349–353.Google Scholar
- 8.Ciszek, S.P. Ashworth, B.A. Glowacki, A.M. Campbell, P. Haldar, “Transport AC Losses in Multifilamentary AgBi-2223 Tapes in Low External DC Magnetic Fields”, Physica C 272 (1996) 319–325; M. Ciszek, S.P. Ashworth, M.P. James, B.A. Glowacki, A.M. Campbell, R. Garre, S. Conti, “Self-Field AC Losses and Critical Currents in Multi-tube Ag-Bi-2223 Conductors”, Supercond. Sci. Technol. 9 (1996) 379–384.Google Scholar
- 9.U. Balachandran, A. N. Iyer, P. Haldar, and L. Motowidlo, Journal of Metals 45 No. 9 (1993) pp. 54–57Google Scholar