Numerical Evaluation of the Quench Behaviour of the ITER Toroidal Field Model Coil
In the frame of the ITER program, a Toroidal Field Model Coil is being built in Europe. Calculations about the thermohydraulic behaviour of this coil are presented in detail using the codes SARUMAN and GANDALF. The Helium temperature increase along the cooling circuits, the pressure drop and the mass flow partition inside the cable during normal operation will be discussed. One of the most crucial points is the behaviour of the coil during quench with a safety discharge. The general behaviour of the coil will be studied. Particular emphasis will be put on the pressure increase in case of a quench which in fact is strongly dependent on the dimensions of the joints and the external cryogenic circuit. The calculations and the resulting design choices for these parts are presented and discussed. An experimental program will be carried out to assess the validity of these choices as a necessary contribution to the ITER design.
KeywordsFriction Factor Hydraulic Diameter Annular Region Toroidal Field International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.The Quench Experiment on Long Length — Final Report, Villigen, Naka, Cambridge, St. Petersburg, (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.A. Anghel, private communicationGoogle Scholar
- 6.J.R. Miller, L. Dresner, J.W. Lue, S.S. Shen, H.T. Yeh, “Pressure rise during quench of a superconducting magnet using internally cooled superconductors, Proc. ICEC8, Genova, (1980), 3291–3297.Google Scholar
- 8.L. Bottura, O.C. Zienkiewicz, “Final Report on NET contract 90–245”, (1993)Google Scholar
- 9.L. Bottura, “A Quench Simulation Model for the ITER Magnets”, NET Internal Report N/R/08231/54/A, (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.R. Heller, “Quench Analysis for Magnet Safety Assessment”, Final report Task D42, (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.S.J. Sackett, “EFFI, a code for calculating the electromagnetic field, force and inductance in coil systems of arbitrary geometry”, LLNL, Livermore, California, UCRL-52402, (1978)Google Scholar
- 12.P. Hertout, J.L. Duchateau, P. Libeyre, B. Turck, Y. Stephan, “Prediction of Eddy Currents in the ITER TF Model Coil Experiment using the Code Corfou”, presented at the ISTET Conference, June 1997Google Scholar
- 13.L. Bottura, private communicationGoogle Scholar