Copper, Nickel and Cadmium in the Surface Waters of the Mediterranean
Copper, nickel, and cadmium have been determined on 50 surface samples throughout the Mediterranean. All of these elements are substantially more concentrated in the surface waters of the Mediterranean than in similar nutrient-depleted waters in the open ocean. A mass-balance model for the Mediterranean allows limits to be placed on the magnitudes of the trace element sources. The actual source or sources cannot be resolved from the data, and it is not clear whether this trace element enrichment is natural or anthropogenic in origin.
KeywordsIntermediate Water Copper Nickel Shelf Sediment Eastern Atlantic Ocean North Atlantic Water
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Martin, J.H., K.W. Bruland and W.W. Broenkow, 1976: Cadmium transport in the California Current. In: “Marine Pollutant Transfer”, edited by H. Windom and R. Duce. Lexington Books, Lexington, Mass., p. 159–184.Google Scholar
- 2.Bender, M.L. and C.L. Gagner, 1976: Dissolved copper, nickel and cadmium in the Sargasso Sea. J. Mar. Res., 34, 327–339.Google Scholar
- 6.Hopkins, T.S., 1978: Physical Processes in the Mediterranean Basin. In: “Estuarine Transport Processes”, ed. by B. Kjerfve. University of South Carolina Press, 269–310.Google Scholar
- 8.Lacombe, H. and R. Tchernia, 1972: Caracteres hydrologiques et circulation des eaux en Mediterranee. In: “The Mediterranean Sea: A Natural Sedimentation Laboratory”, ed. by D.J. Stanley. Dowden, Hutchinson and Ross Inc., 75–110.Google Scholar
- 9.Boyle, E.A., S.S. Huested, B. Grant and J.M. Edmond, 1982: The Chemical Mass Balance of the Amazon Plume II: Copper, Nickel, and Cadmium, Deep Sea Research. (in press).Google Scholar
- 10.Duce, R.A., G.L. Hoffman, B.J. Ray, I.S. Fletcher, C.T. Wallace, J.L. Fasching, S.R. Piotrowicz, P.R. Walsh, E.J. Hoffman, J.M. Miller and J.L. Heffter, 1976: Trace Metals in the Marine Atmosphere: Sources and Fluxes. In: “Marine Pollutant Transfer”, ed. by H.L. Windom and R.A. Duce. Lexington Books, 77–121.Google Scholar
- 11.Menard, H.W. and S.M. Smith, 1966: Hypsometry of ocean Basin Provinces. Journal of Geophysical Research, 71, 4303–4325.Google Scholar