On the Thermoelectricity in Uranium Intermetallics
The thermoelectric power in intermetallic compounds UNi5-xCux of the cubic AuBe5 structure type and in UX3 (X=A1, Ga, In, Si, Ge, Sn) of the cubic Cu3Au structure type has been measured between 5 and 300K. The interpretation of the thermopower in UNi5-xCux is given in terms of an s-d band model for the range 0 ≤ x < 4 and of mixed U4+/U3+ valency in the range 4 ≤ x ≤5. It is suggested that the thermopower in UX3 compounds is dominated by paramagnon scattering.
KeywordsCharge Density Wave Uranium Atom Phonon Drag Vleck Paramagnetism Electronic Specific Heat Coefficient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.J. Freeman and D.D. Koelling, “The actinides, electronic structure and related properties”, Ed. A.J. Freeman and J.B. Darby Jr., Academic Press 1974. Vol I, p. 51.Google Scholar
- 2.H.L. Davis, see ref. 1, Vol. II, p.l.Google Scholar
- 4.K.H.J. Buschow and H.J. van Daal, AIP Conf. Proc. No. 5, 1972, “Magnetism and Magnetic Materials-1971, eds. C.D. Graham Jr. and J.J. Rhyne, p. 1464.Google Scholar
- 6.R.D. Barnard, “Thermoelectricity in metals and alloys” Taylor and Francis ltd. London, 1972, p. 130.Google Scholar
- 7.L.L. Hirst, Phys. Kondens. Mater. 11, 255 (1970).Google Scholar
- 9.M.D. Daybell, in “Magnetism”, edited by H. Suhl, Academic New York, 1973, Vol V, p. 121.Google Scholar
- 10.M.B. Brodsky and N.J. Bridger, in “Magnetism and Magnetic Materials”, 1973, eds. C.D. Graham Jr. and J.J. Rhyne, AIP Conf. Proc. No. 18 ( AIP, New York, 1973 ), p. 357.Google Scholar
- 12.B. Coqblin, A.A. Gomés, J.R. Inglesias - Sicardi and R. Jullien, Proc. 2nd conf. electr. structure actinides, ed. J. Mulak, W. Suski and R. Trod, Wroclaw, Poland, 1976, p. 223; J.R. Iglesias-Sicardi, thesis, université Paris-Sud, Centre d’Orsay, 1977.Google Scholar