Ionization Domains in Strong Fields and Motion of Luminous Regions in Crystals
The application of static voltages to manganese-activated sodium zincogermanate crystals produced luminous regions moving from the cathode to the anode at a velocity of about 4 × 10−2 cm/sec. These luminous regions were due to a new type of instability called ionization domains. An analysis was made of the processes of impact ionization in high fields, which can generate and maintain space-charge regions in a crystal. Quantitative estimates based on the experimentally determined values indicated that the field intensity in a double layer associated with such domains was of the order of 2 × 106 V/cm. The effective ionization cross section of donors was estimated to be of the order of 3 × 10−14 cm2.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. P. Kuz’mina, O. K. Mel’nikov, and B. P. Litvin, in: Hydrothermal Synthesis of Crystals (ed. by A. N. Lobachev ), Consultants Bureau, New York (1971), p. 99.Google Scholar
- 2.K. A. Verkhovskaya, I, P. Kuz’mina, A. N. Lobachev, and V. M. Fridkin, Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 10: 1906 (1968).Google Scholar
- 3.V. S. Vavilov, V. B. Stonachinskii, and Fan ba Nyan, Kratk. Soobshch. Fiz., No. 4, 3 (1972).Google Scholar
- 5.G. Diemer, Philips Res. Rep., 9: 109 (1954).Google Scholar
- 6.G. E. Arkhangel’skii, E. Yu. L’vova, and M. V. Fok, Zh. Prikl. Spektrosk., 14: 97 (1971).Google Scholar
- 7.É. A. Kuz’min, V. V. Ilyukhin, and N. V. Belov, Kristallografiya, 13: 976 (1968).Google Scholar
- 8.M. A. Kosntantinova-Shlezinger, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 21: 252 (1951).Google Scholar
- 9.V. V. Osiko and G. V. Maksimova, Opt. Spektrosk., 9: 478 (1960).Google Scholar
- 10.M. A. Konstantinova-Shlezinger, Izv.Akad. Nauk SSSR Sera Fiz., 30: 707 (1966).Google Scholar
- 11.N. A. Gorbacheva and A. I. Kabakova, Zk. Prikl. Spektrosk., 6: 478 (1967).Google Scholar
- 12.I. P. Kuz’mina, Thesis for Candidate’s Degree [in Russian], Institute of Crystallography, Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Moscow (1968).Google Scholar
- 13.V. A. Chuenkov, in: Injection Electroluminescence [in Russian], Tartu State University (1968), p. 116.Google Scholar