Preliminary Study for the Protein C Purification Using Mini-Antibodies Produced from Recombinant E. coli
Protein C (PC) is an anticoagulant, antithrombotic, and anti-inflammatory protein in the blood. PC deficiency can lead to blood clots and these clots can prevent the nutrient and oxygen from being transported to tissues. In addition, blood clots detached from the origin can lead to pulmonary embolism, heart attack, and stroke. Purified PC has valuable therapeutic functions for PC-deficient patients, sepsis patients1, and patients undergoing major surgeries2,3. The current purification method for PC is expensive due to the high cost of monoclonal antibodies (by animal cell culture) used as a ligand in immunoaffinity chromatography separation3. In an attempt to lower the PC purification cost, a cheaper ligand, the single chain variable fragment (ScFv; mini-Ab) produced by recombinant E. coli is currently being studied.
KeywordsImmobilize Metal Affinity Chromatography Purification Efficiency Animal Cell Culture Single Chain Variable Fragment Adsorption Stage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eli Lilly (Indiana, August, 2001); http://www.lilly.com.
- 3.Korah, L.K., Ahn, D.G., an Kang, K.A., Development of an economic miniantibody production process for the purification of Protein C (anti-coagulant/anti-thrombotic), Proceedings of the Annual 2001 ISOTT meeting [In Press].Google Scholar
- 5.Wilkinson, D., Immunochemical techniques inspire development of new antibody purification methods, Scientist 14 (8), 25 (2000).Google Scholar
- 6.Amersham Biosciences (New Jersey, August 1, 2002); www.amershambiosciences.com.Google Scholar
- 8.Akestrom, B. Nilson, B.H.K., Hoogenboon, H.R., and Bjorck, L., On the interaction between single chain Fv antibodies and bacterial immunoglobulins-binding proteins, J. Immunol. Methods 177, 151–163 (1994).Google Scholar
- 9.Griffiths,A.D., Williams, S.C., Hartlet, O., Tomlinson, I.M., Waterhouse, P., Crosby, W.L., Kontermann, R.E., Jones, P.T., Low, N.L., Allison, J., Prospero, T.D., Hoogenboom, H.R., Nissim, A., Cox, J.P.L., Harrison, J.L., Zaccolo, M., Gherardi, E., and Winter, G., Isolation of high affinity human antibodies directly from large synthetic repertories, EMBO Journal 13 (14), 3245–3260 (1994).Google Scholar
- 10.Center for Protein Engineering, (Cambridge, August 1, 2002); http://www.mrc-cpe.cam.ac.uk.Google Scholar
- 11.Luo, Q., Zou, H., Xiao, X., Guo, Z., Kong, L., and, Mao, X., Chromatographic separation of proteins on metal immobilized iminodiacetic acid-bound molded monolithic rods of macroporous poly (glycidyl methacrylate-co-ethylene dimetharylate), J. Chromatogr. A 926, 255–264 (2001).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Sterogene (California, August 1, 2002); http://www.sterogene.com.