In the various discussions concerning the propagation of light in material media such as silica optical fibers, in the previous chapters we have been dealing with linear processes. By this we mean that a light beam of a certain optical frequency which enters a given medium will leave the medium with the same frequency, although the amplitude and phase of the wave will, in general, be altered.
KeywordsNonlinear Optic Second Harmonic Generation Harmonic Generation Phase Match Group Velocity Dispersion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nye, J. F. (1976) Physical Properties of Crystals, Clarendon Press, Oxford, Chap. 13.Google Scholar
- 9.Cohen, L. G. and Lin, C. (1978) A universal fibre-optic measurement system based on a Near IR fibre Raman laser’, IEEE J. Quant. Elect., QE-14, 855.Google Scholar
- 10.Lin, C. and French, W. G. (1979) A near IR fibre Raman oscillator, Appl. Phys. Lett., 34, 10.Google Scholar
- 17.Dakin, J. P. (1987) Distributed fibre temperature sensor using the optical Kerr effect. Proc. SPIE,798, Fibre Optic Sensors 11,149–156.Google Scholar
- 19.Dakin, J. P., Pratt, D. J., Bibby, G. W. and Ross, J. N. (1985) Distributed anti-Stokes Raman thermometry, in Proceedings 3rd International Conference on Optical Fibre Sensors, San Diego, February, postdeadline paper.Google Scholar
- 20.Hartog, A. (2000) Distributed fiber optic sensors: principles and applications in Optical Fiber Sensor Technology 5, Eds Grattan, K. T. V. and Meggitt, B. T., 239–300.Google Scholar
- 21.Fames, M. C. and Rogers, A. J. (1984) Distributed sensing using stimulated Raman interaction in an optical fibre, in Proceedings 2nd International Conference on Optical-Fibre Sensors, Stuttgart, paper 4. 5, pp. 121–32.Google Scholar
- 22.Othonos, A. (2000) Bragg gratings in optical fibers: fundamentals and applications in Optical Fiber Sensor Technology 5, Eds Grattan, K. T. V. and Meggitt, B. T., 79–186.Google Scholar
- 23.Agrawal, G. P. (1989) Nonlinear Fiber Optics,Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 24.Boyd, R. W. (1992) Nonlinear Optics,Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 25.Guenther, R. D. (1990) Modern Optics, John Wiley and Sons, Chap. 15Google Scholar