Clinical Trials in Myocardial Infarction and Coronary Heart Disease
The relationship between thrombosis, coronary atherosclerosis and myocardial infarction has evolved over many years.1 There has been considerable controversy about the specific role of thrombosis in both myocardial infarction and sudden death,2 as well as the importance of vessel wall, platelet interactions in the evolution of atherosclerosis. The interaction of vessel wall injury, platelets and hyperlipidemia in the development of the atherosclerotic plaque and complications seems to be a most plausible hypothesis.
KeywordsMyocardial Infarction Acute Myocardial Infarction Sudden Death Angina Pectoris Anticoagulation Therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.G. S. Reeder and R. E. Vlietstra, Coronary angioplasty: 1986. Mod Concepts Cardiovasc Dis 55:49 (1986).Google Scholar
- 16.L. H. Kuller, J. A. Perper, W. S. Dai, et al., Sudden death and the decline in coronary heart disease mortality. J Chron Dis (1986) (In Press).Google Scholar
- 18.J. A. Perper, L. H. Kuller and M. Cooper, Arteriosclerosis of coronary arteries in sudden, unexpected deaths. Circulation 52(Suppl 3):27 (1975).Google Scholar
- 19.J. Stamler, D. Wentworth and J. Neaton. Middle-aged American men at very low risk of coronary death; six-year findings on the 356, 222 screenees of the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial (MRFIT). Presented at the X World Congress of Cardiology, Washington, D.C., September (1986).Google Scholar
- 22.L. H. Kuller, Natural History of Coronary Heart Disease, in: Heart Disease and Rehabilitation, Second Edition, M. L. Pollock and D. H. Schmidt, eds., John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- 27.E. Genton and A. G. G. Turpie, Anticoagulant therapy following acute myocardial infarction: Part II. Antithrombotic therapy in acute myocardial infarction. Mod Concepts Cardiovasc Dis 52:49 (1983).Google Scholar
- 28.Gruppo Italiano Per Los Studio Delia Streptochinasi Nell’Infarto Miocardico (GISSI), Effectiveness of intravenous thrombolytic treatment in acute myocardial infarction. Lancet 1:397 (1986).Google Scholar