A novel DAB technique using code combining, packet combining, and Iterative Decoding (Turbo Code)
A novel satellite Direct Audio Broadcasting (DAB) system based on Code Combining, Packet Combining (CCPC), and iterative decoding — so called the Turbo coding principle, is presented. This new scheme provides not only the unprecedented coding gain from the Turbo code and its iterative decoding, but also the gains induced by the code combining and the packet combining. We demonstrate the performance improvements, in terms of the BER and WER for AWGN channel and Rayleigh fading channel with perfect Channel State Information (CSI) through simulations.
KeywordsChannel State Information Code Rate Turbo Code Convolutional Code Maximal Ratio Combiner
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- David Bell, “Overview of techniques for mitigation of fading and shadowing in the direct broadcasting radio environment”, Proceeding of IMSC 95, Ottawa Ca.Google Scholar
- CD Radio, “Application of satellite CD Radio, Inc. to modify authorisation”, FCC filing, December 11, 1998.Google Scholar
- Byung K. Yi, “System for turbo-coded satellite digital audio broadcasting”, U.S. Patent file No. 383930–101.Google Scholar
- C. Berrou, A. Glavieux, P. Thitimasjshima, “Near Shannon limit error correcting coding and decoding: Turbo-Codes,” in Proc., IEEE Int. Conf. On Commun., Geneva, Switzerland, pp 10641070, May 1993.Google Scholar
- C. Berrou, “Pseudo random interleaver design”, CCSDS Panel IA Paris meeting presentation, April 1997.Google Scholar
- O. Y. Takeshita, D. J. Costello, Jr. `Thew classes of algebraic interleavers for turbo codes“, IEEE Information Theory Symposium, Aug. 1998.Google Scholar
- Byung K. Yi, “Interleaver design comparisons and shortening algorithm”, CCSDS October Meeting presentation, Damstadt, Germany, Oct., 1998.Google Scholar
- CCSDS, “Telemetry channel coding — summary of concept and rationale”, Green Book-Draft Rev. 1, October 1998.Google Scholar
- J. Hagenauer, P.Robertson, and L. Papke, “Iterative (turbo) decoding of systematic convolutional codes with the MAP and SOYA algorithms,” ITG Conf., Frankfurt, Germany, pp. 1 9, Oct. 1994.Google Scholar