On the same pattern as that used for the IMF, this chapter deals first with the principal provisions concerning the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), whose origins have already been outlined in the previous chapter. The World Bank consists of the IBRD and the International Development Association (IDA). Collectively, the World Bank, the International Finance Corporation (IFC) and the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) are known as the World Bank Group. The last parts of the chapter discuss IDA and IFC.
KeywordsMember State Central Bank Member Country National Currency Private Capital
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
A. IBRD publications
- The Bank publishes regulations concerning loans and issues, an Annual reportjointly with IDA, and Summary proceedings 19— Annual report of the Board of Governors. There are also annual reports of ICSID, MIGA and IFC. Google Scholar
- Since 1986 the Bank publishes The World Bank Research Observer and ICSID Review Foreign Investment Law Journal and since 1987 The World Bank Economic Review See also Abstracts of Current Studies and Research NewsGoogle Scholar
- Reports are issued periodically on operations in past years or on activities in certain parts of the world (Africa, Asia, America). Regularly the Bank assembles some articles about its activities from Finance and Development and publishes them separately.Google Scholar
- Since 1978 statistics concerning world development indicators have been published in annual reports by the World Bank: World Development Report and The World Bank Atlas.Google Scholar
B. Other publications
- A. Walters op’ cit.; C. Caufield Masters of illusion. The World Bank and the poverty of nations (London, Macmillan 1996); E. Colombatto, An institutional view of LDC failure Journal of Policy ModelingJune 1998.Google Scholar
- The extracts quoted are from: B. Ward and P. T. Bauer Two views on aid to developing countries (London, The Institute of Economic Affairs 1966);Google Scholar
- H. G. Johnson, book review of E. S. Mason and R. E. Asher, The World Bank since Bretton Woods (Washington, The Brookings Institution 1974) Economica November 1975;Google Scholar
- I. M. D. Little and J M. Clifford International aid (London, Allen amp Unwin 1965);Google Scholar
- H. G. Johnson, The ‘crisis of aid’ and the Pearson report, in International economics and development (ed. L. E. di Marco, New York and London, Academic Press 1972).Google Scholar