Methotrexate Metabolism by Bone Marrow Cells from Patients with Leukemia
Bone marrow cells from children with leukemia in remission and lymphoblasts and myeloblasts from children with early and late-stage leukemia all accumulated methotrexate during short-term culture and converted it to poly-γ-glutamyl derivatives. This metabolism was time and dose-dependent. Leukemia cells from two patients with chronic myelocytic leukemia also synthesized methotrexate polygluta-mates. Patients varied one from another in the quantity of total non-exchangeable methotrexate and methotrexate polyglutamates present in cells, but highest levels of each of these were seen in late acute lymphoblastic leukemia and in acute myeloblastic leukemia.
Co-incubation of leukemic cells with both methotrexate and a ten-fold excess of folinic acid decreased accumulation and poly-glutamylation of methotrexate to the same extent as chieved by reducing methotrexate concentration ten-fold. Co-incubation with methotrexate and a ten-fold excess of vincristine did not increase total cell methotrexate and methotrexate polyglutamates in leukemic cells in culture. Such an increase had been anticipated from earlier studiese with other cells. Indeed, levels of methotrexate and its derivatives were modestly reduced.
KeywordsFolinic Acid Kemic Cell Methotrexate Polyglutamates Remission Bone Marrow Normal Human Bone Marrow Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.McBurney MW and Whitmore GF (1974) Cell 2: 182–188.Google Scholar
- 6.Bertino JR, Coward JK, Cashmore A, Chello P, Panichajakul S, Horvath CG and Stort RW (1976) Biochem. Soc. Transactions 4:853–856.Google Scholar
- 8.Cheng YC, Szeto DW, Dolnick BJ, Rosowsky A, Cheng-Sein Y, Modest EJ, Piper JR, Temple Jr C, Elliot RD, Rose JD and Montgomery JA (1979) In Chemistry and Biology of Pteridines, Kisliuk and Brown (eds), Elsevier North Holland, Amsterdam, pp. 377–381.Google Scholar
- 13.Whitehead VM (1973) Clin. Res. 21:655.Google Scholar
- 17.Whitehead VM, Perrault MM and Stelcner S (1976) In Chemistry and Biology of Pteridines, W. Pfleiderer (ed), Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, pp. 475–483.Google Scholar
- 18.Jacobs SA, Adamson RH, Chabner BA, Derr CJ and Johns DG Biochem. Biophys. (1975) Res. Commun. 63:692–698.Google Scholar
- 19.Whitehead VM (1977) Cancer Res. 37:407–412.Google Scholar
- 25.Whitehead VM and Rosenblatt DS (1979) In Chemistry and Biology of Pteridines, Kisliuk RL and Brown GM (ed), Elsevier/North Holland, NY, pp. 689–694.Google Scholar
- 32.Rosenblatt DS and Whitehead VM Methotrexate polyglutamates in cultured human cells. This volume (supply reference please).Google Scholar
- 35.Publication #81012 from the McGill University-Montreal Children’s Hospital Research Institute.Google Scholar