Immunocytochemical Localization of Bacterial Lipopolysaccharide with Colloidal-Gold Probes in Different Target Cells
The precise mechanisms involved in the endotoxin-induced shock are not yet clearly understood. A biphasic behaviour has been observed due to a direct interaction of bacterial lipopolysaccharide (LPS) with the membrane of target cells and an indirect activation of multiple homeostatic regulatory mechanisms (3).
KeywordsColloidal Gold Adrenal Cell Bacterial Lipopolysaccharide Adrenocortical Cell Ultrastructural Localization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aracil, F. M., Bosch, M. A., and Municio, A. M., 1985, Influence of E. coli lipopolysaccharide binding to rat alveolar type II cells on their functional properties. Mol. Cell Biochem. 68: 59.Google Scholar
- 2.Berry, M. N. and Friend, D. S., 1969, High-yield preparation of isolated rat liver parenchymal cells. J. Cell Biol. 43: 506.Google Scholar
- 3.Bradley, S. G., 1979, Cellular and molecular mechanisms of action of bacterial endotoxins. Ann. Rev. Microbiol. 33: 67.Google Scholar
- 4.Faulk, W. P. and Taylor, G. M., 1971, An immunocolloidal method for the electron microscope. Immunochem. 8: 1081.Google Scholar
- 5.Garcia, R., Laychock, S. G. and Rubin, R. P., 1982, Inhibition by dibutyryl cyclic AMP induced steroidogenesis in rat adrenocortical cells by the putative calcium antagonist TMB-8. J. Steroid Biochem. 16: 317.Google Scholar
- 6.Garcia, R., Viloria, M. D. and Municio, A. M., 1985, Influence of E. - coli endotoxin on ACTH induced adrenal cell steroidogenesis. J. Steroid Biochem. 22: 377.Google Scholar
- 7.Horisberger, M., 1979, Evaluation of colloidal gold as a cytochemical marker for transmission and scanning electron microscopy. Biol. Cell. 36: 253.Google Scholar
- 8.Pagani, R., Portoles, M. T. and Municio, A. M., 1981, The binding of E. coli endotoxin to isolated rat hepatocytes. FEBS Lett. 131: 103.Google Scholar
- 9.Portoles, M. T., Pagani, R., Diaz-Laviada, I. and Municio, A. M., 1987, Effect of E. coli lipopolysaccharide on the microviscosity of liver plasma membranes and hepatocyte suspensions and monolayers. Cell. Biochem. and Funct. 5: 54.Google Scholar
- 10.Romano, E. L., Stolinski, C. and Huges-Jones, N. C., 1974, An antiglobulin reagent labelled with colloidal gold for use in electron microscopy. Immunocytochem. 11: 521.Google Scholar
- 11.Roth, J. and Binder, M., 1978,. Colloidal gold, ferritin and peroxidase as markers for electron microscopic double labelling lectin technique. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 26: 163.Google Scholar