Mathematical Functions and Array Processing
The earlier chapters of this book have described the design criteria for performing the basic arithmetic operations, together with some extensions needed for most machines. This chapter will discuss some additional functions that the unit could perform. Most of these are only useful for machines intended primarily for mathematical applications, though some, such as vector operations, have been shown to have applications in data processing as well. Some of the procedures to be described have been applied; others are possible contenders for the future, when the cost of the hardware has been further reduced.
KeywordsDigital Computer Array Processor Array Processing Polynomial Evaluation Arithmetic Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baskett, F., and Keller, T. W., ‘An Evaluation of the Cray-1 Computer’, in High Speed Computer and Algorithm Organization, ed. David J. Kuck et al. (Academic Press, New York, 1977) pp. 71–84.Google Scholar
- de Lugish, B. G., ‘A Class of Algorithms for Automatic Evaluation of Certain Elementary Functions in a Binary Computer’, University of Illinois Report 399 (1970).Google Scholar
- Flanders, P. M., Hunt, D. J., Reddaway, S. F., and Parkinson, D., ‘Efficient High. Speed Computing with the Distributed Array Processor’, in High Speed Computer and Algorithm Organization, ed. David J. Kuck et al. (Academic Press, New York, 1977) pp. 71–84.Google Scholar
- Hart, J. F., Computer Approximations (Wiley, Chichester, 1968). Contains lists of constants for polynomials and their derivations.Google Scholar
- Rodrigues, M. R. D., ‘Algorithms for the Fast Hardware Evaluation of Mathematical Functions’, M.Sc. Thesis (University of Manchester, 1978).Google Scholar
- Schmidt, H., Decimal Computation (Wiley, Chichester, 1974). Despite the title, the algorithms can be used in binary as well as decimal. A useful book.Google Scholar
- Voider, J. E., ‘The CORDIC Trigonometric Computing Technique’, LE.E.E. Trans. electronic Comput., 8 (1959) 330–4.Google Scholar
- Walther, T. S., ‘A Unified Algorithm for Elementary Functions’, AFIPS SJCC, 38 (1971) 379–85.Google Scholar