Performance Modeling and Control of ATM Networks
Resource management issues are considered in two conceptual levels: (i) call admission and resource allocation for call connection establishment and (ii) traffic policing and service scheduling of in-progress calls. The functions in (i) are to be performed in the Control Plane while those in (ii) are to be enforced in the Transport Plane. We identify the functions associated with these two sets of resource management strategies, and incorporate these strategies into the end-to-end performance models.
KeywordsAsynchronous Transfer Mode Call Admission Control Traffic Stream Access Node Queue Management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- The ATM Forum, “ATM User-Network Interface Specification,” Version 3. 0, 1993.Google Scholar
- Lee, H. W. and J.W. Mark, “ATM Network Traffic Characterization Using Two Types of on/off Sources,” Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM ’83, pp. 152–159, March 28-Apr.1, 1993, San Francisco, CA.Google Scholar
- Ren, J. -F., J. W. Mark and J. W. Wong, “End-to-End Performance in ATM Networks,” IEEE ICC ‘84 Conference Record, May 1–5, 1994, New Orleans, La, pp. 996–1002.Google Scholar
- Elwalid, A. I., D. Mitra and T. E. Stern, “Statistical Multiplexing of Markov Modulated Sources: Theory and Computational Algorithms,” Proc. ITC-13, pp. 495–500, Copenhagen, 1991.Google Scholar
- Lee, H. W. and J. W. Mark, “Capacity Allocation in Statistical Multiplexing of Heterogeneous Sources,” Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM ’84, June 1994, Toronto, Canada, pp. 708–715.Google Scholar
- Graham, A., Kronecker Product and Matrix Calculus: with Applications, John Wiley and Sons, 1981.Google Scholar
- Ren, J. -F., J. W. Mark and J. W. Wong, “Asymptotic Analysis of a Leaky Bucket Controlled ATM Multiplexer,” IEEE ICC ’83 Conference Record, May 23–26, 1993, Geneva, Switzerland, pp. 1386–1390.Google Scholar
- Ren, J. -F., J. W. Mark and J. W. Wong, “A Dynamic Priority Queueing Approach to Traffic Regulation and Scheduling in B-ISDN,” to appear in IEEE GLOBECOM ’84 Conference Record, Nov. 27-Dec. 1, 1994, San Francisco, CA.Google Scholar
- Wu, G.-L. and J.W. Mark, “A Buffer Allocation Scheme for ATM Networks: Complete Sharing Based on Virtual Partition,” Proc. of ITC-sponsored Seminar on Teletraffic Analysis for Current and Future Telecom Networks, Nov. 15–19, 1993, Bangalore, India, pp. 19–26.Google Scholar
- D.X. Chen and J.W. Mark, “Delay and Loss Control of Output-Buffered Fast Packet Switches Supporting Integrated Services,” IEEE SUPERCOMM/ICC ’82 Conf. Record. vol.2, pp. 985–989, June 14–18, 1992, Chicago, IL.Google Scholar