Scintigraphic Evaluation of Polymeric Formulations for Ophthalmic Use
The appreciation of the behaviour of ophthalmic dosage forms in vivo has been limited by the lack of suitable quantitative methods. Tear sampling significantly alters the kinetics of the system because of the small volume of the tear film. The technique of gamma scintigraphy has superceded x-ray studies in the investigation of restriction of the nasolacrimal duct. It is a small step from this routine clinical application to apply the technique to the study of the precorneal behaviour of suitable markers incorporated into ophthalmic formulations. The method is associated with a low radiation dosimetry and can be safely used in man. This affords the opportunity to conduct comparative studies of the behaviour of polymeric formulations in man with established animal models such as the rabbit.
KeywordsPolymeric Formulation Nasolacrimal Duct Small Unilamellar Vesicle Pinhole Collimator Gamma Scintigraphy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bangham A.D., Standish M.M. and Watkins J.C. (1965) J. Mol. Biol. 13: 238–252Google Scholar
- Chria S.S., Patton T.F., Mehta A. and Robinson J.R. (1973) J. Pharm. Sci. 62: 1112–1121.Google Scholar
- Davies D.J.P., Jones D.E.P., Meakin B.P. and Norton D.A. (1977) Ophthalmol. Dig. 39: 13–26Google Scholar
- Edelhauser H.F. and Champeau E.J. (1984),International Tear Film Symposium Proceedings pp 47–53 (publ Lubbock:Texas)Google Scholar
- Fitzgerald P., Hadgraft J. and Wilson C.G. (1984). J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 36: 24P.Google Scholar
- Fitzgerald P. (1985). Ph.D. Thesis, University of Nottingham.Google Scholar
- Fitzgerald P., Gilbert D., Hollingsbee D.A. and Wilson C. G. (1986). J. Pharm. Pharmacol (in press)Google Scholar
- Gurny R., Boye T. and Ibrahim H. (1985) J. Control. Release. 2: 353–61Google Scholar
- Schaeffer H. E. and Krohn D.L. (1982) Invest. Ophthalmol. 23: 220–7.Google Scholar
- Wilson C.G., Olejnik O. and Hardy J.G. (1983) J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 35: 451–4.Google Scholar
- Wilson C.G., Hardy J. G., Frier M.and Davis S. S. eds.(1984)“Radionuclide Imaging in Formulation Research” (Croom Helm:London)Google Scholar
- Yakovlev A.A. and Lenkovich M.M. (1966) Vestn. Oftal. 79: 40–43Google Scholar