Location Signaling by Cortical Neurons
Localization is a fundamental task of hearing. Identification of the locations of sound sources permits animals to locate prey or to avoid predators. Spatial hearing improves signal detection and aids in the segregation of multiple sources, thus improving identification of sounds. The importance of sound localization for the auditory system is reflected in the organization of the auditory brainstem, which contains several discrete nuclei that appear to be specialized for analysis of particular acoustical cues for sound source location.
KeywordsReceptive Field Sound Source Auditory Cortex Sound Level Primary Auditory Cortex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blauert J (1969–1970) Sound localization in the median plane. Acustica 22:205–213.Google Scholar
- Blauert J (1983) Spatial Hearing. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Evans EF (1967) Cortical representation. In: de Reuck AUS, Knight J (eds) Symposium on Hearing Mechanisms in Vertebrates. London: CIBA, Churchill, pp. 272–295.Google Scholar
- Mishkin M, Ungerleider LG, Macko KA (1983) Object vision and spatial vision: two cortical pathways. TINS 414–417.Google Scholar
- Rajan R, Aitkin LM, Irvine DRF, McKay J (1990a) Azimuthal sensitivity of neurons in primary auditory cortex of cats. I. Types of sensitivity and the effects of variations in stimulus parameters. J Neurophysiol 64: 872–887.Google Scholar
- Rajan R, Aitkin LM, Irvine DRF (1990b) Azimuthal sensitivity of neurons in primary auditory cortex of cats. II. Organization along frequency-band strips. J Neurophysiol 64: 888–902.Google Scholar
- Stricanne B, Andersen RA, Mazzoni P (1996) Eye-centered, head-centered, and intermediate coding of remembered sound locations in area LIP. J Neurophysiol 75: 1233–1241.Google Scholar
- Ungerleider LG, Mishkin M (1982) Two cortical visual systems. In: Ingle DJ, Goodale MA, Mansfields RJW (eds) Analysis of Visual Behaviour. Cambridge: MIT Press, pp. 549–586.Google Scholar
- Young ED, Rice.1.1, Tong SC (1996) Effects of pinna position on head-related transfer functions in the cat. J Acoust Soc Am 99: 3064–3076.Google Scholar
- Zattore RJ, Penhume VB (2001) Spatial localization after excision of human auditory cortex. J Neurosci 21: 6321–6328.Google Scholar