Structural Studies of Natural and Bio-Inspired Polyesters by Multistage Mass Spectrometry
Hyphenation of electrospray ionization with ion-trap multistage mass spectrometry (ESI-MSn) provides characterisation of subtle molecular structure of both synthetic and natural aliphatic polyesters as well as oligomeric products of their biodegradation. Implementation of multistage MS technique for structural studies of the novel bio-inspired polymers including poly[(R,S)-3-hydroxybutyrateJ, a-PHB, telechelics and a-PHB conjugates with oligopeptides has been demonstrated. The novel results concerned with evaluation of the subtle structure of macroinitiators obtained by partial depolymerisation of selected natural poly(3-hydroxyalkanoate)s, PHA, are also presented.
KeywordsFragmentation Experiment Carboxylic Side Crotonic Acid Fragment Anion Parent Anion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Adamus, G., Sikorska, W., Kowalczuk, M., Montaudo M., Scandola, M. 2000, Sequence distribution and fragmentation studies of bacterial copolyester macromolecules: characterization of PHBV macroinitiator by electrospray ion-trap multistage mass spectrometry, Macromolecules. 33: 5802.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Scandola, M., Focarete, M. L., Adamus, G., Sikorska, W., Baranowska, I., Swierczek, S., Gnatowski, M., Kowalczuk, M., Jedlinski, Z., 1997, Polymer blends of natural poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) and a synthetic atactic poly(3-hydroxybutyrate). Characterization and biodegradation studies, Macromolecules 30: 2568.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Focarte, M. L., Ceccorulli, G., Scandola, M., Kowalczuk, M., 1998, Further evidence of crystallinity-induced biodegradation of synthetic atactic poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) by PHB-depolymerase A from Pseudomonas lemoignei. Blends of atactic poly[(R,S)-3-hydroxybutyrate] with crystalline polyesters, Macromolecules 31: 8485.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Arkin, Z.G., Rydz, J., Adamus, G., Kowalczuk, M., in press, Water-soluble L-alanine and Related Oligopeptide Conjugates with Poly[(R,S)-3- hydroxybutanoic acid] Oligomers. Synthesis and Structural Studies by Means of Electrospray loriization Multistage Mass Spectrometry, J. Biomat. Sci, Polym, Ed. Google Scholar
- 14.Kowalczuk, M., Adamus, G., Sikorska, W., Rydz, J., 2000, Structural studies of biorelated polymers derived from natural PHA and their synthetic analogues with the aid of electrospray multistage mass spectrometry, ACS Polym. Prep. 41: 1626.Google Scholar
- 15.Kowalczuk, M., Adamus, G., Sikorska, W., Hazer, B., Borcakli, M., Arkin, A.H., 2000, Novel biodegradable packaging materials based upon atactic poly[(R,S)-3-hydroxybutyrate] and natural poly(hydroxyalkanoate)s, Proc. International “Food Biopack Conference “, Copenhagen, p. 39.Google Scholar