EBSD Contra TEM Characterization of a Deformed Aluminum Single Crystal
In recent years the development has been toward more and more microstructural characterization being done by automatic EBSD* measurements at the expense of TEM studies. This trend has been expressed very directly by Professor F.J. Humphreys: “Although I used to be a TEM-man, I now do everything I can to avoid doing TEM work” (Humphreys, 1999a). Reasons for this trend are the advances of the EBSD technique toward faster and easier measurements, more sophisticated data representations and (very importantly) better spatial resolution of the technique. In modern FEG-SEMs the spatial resolution is estimated to be three times better than in conventional W-filament SEMs (Humphreys, 1999b) and subgrain structures of dimensions down to 0.2 µm in aluminum are analyzed (Humphreys, 1999b). This means that characterization previously done by TEM is now being done by EBSD (Humphreys, 1999b; Terhune et al., 1999).
KeywordsDislocation Structure Misorientation Angle Dislocation Boundary Misorientation Distribution Deformation Microstructure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hughes, D.A., 1995, Evolution of deformation microstructures and local orientation, in: Proc. of the 16 th Riso Int. Symp. on Materials Science, N. Hansen, D. Juul Jensen, Y. Liu, and B. Ralph, eds., Riso National Laboratory, Roskilde.Google Scholar
- Humphreys, F.J., 1999a, Oral presentation at ICOTOM 12, Montreal.Google Scholar
- Humphreys, F.J., 1999b, Determination of microtexture by EBSD at high spatial resolution in a FEGSEM, in: ICOTOM-12, J.A. Szpunar, ed., NRC Research Press, Ottawa.Google Scholar
- Juul Jensen, D., Lyttle, M.T., and Hansen, N., 1998, Hot and cold deformed aluminum: deformation microstructure and recrystallization behavior, in: Hot Deformation of Aluminum Alloys II, T.R. Bieler, L.A. Lalli, and S.R. MacEwen, eds., The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, Warrendale.Google Scholar
- Krieger Lassen, N.C., Juul Jensen, D., and Conradsen, K., 1992, Image processing procedures for analysis of electron backscatter patterns, Scanning Microscopy. 6:115.Google Scholar
- Terhune, S.D., Horita, Z., Memoto, M., Li, Y., Langdon, T.G., and McNelley, T.R., 1999, The evolution of microtexture and grain boundary character during ECA pressing of pure aluminum, in: Proceedings of ReX’99, T. Sakai and H.G. Suzuki, eds., The Japan Institute of Metals, Tsukuba.Google Scholar