Exact Algorithms for Plane Steiner Tree Problems: A Computational Study
We present a computational study of exact algorithms for the Euclidean and rectilinear Steiner tree problems in the plane. These algorithms — which are based on the generation and concatenation of full Steiner trees — are much more efficient than other approaches and allow exact solutions of problem instances with more than 2000 terminals. The full Steiner tree generation algorithms for the two problem variants share many algorithmic ideas and the concatenation part is identical (integer programming formulation solved by branch-and-cut). Performance statistics for randomly generated instances, public library instances and “difficult” instances with special structure are presented. Also, results on the comparative performance on the two problem variants are given.
KeywordsMinimum Span Tree Exact Algorithm Steiner Point Steiner Tree Problem Steiner Minimum Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. E. Beasley. OR-Library: Distributing Test Problems by Electronic Mail. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 41:1069–1072,1990.Google Scholar
- M. W. Bern and R. L. Graham. The Shortest-Network Problem. Scientific American, pages 66–71, January 1989.Google Scholar
- U. Fößmeier and M. Kaufmann. On Exact Solutions for the Rectilinear Steiner Tree Problem. Technical Report WSI-96–09, Universität Tübingen, 1996.Google Scholar
- F. K. Hwang, D. S. Richards, and P. Winter. The Steiner Tree Problem. Annals of Discrete Mathematics 53. Elsevier Science Publishers, Netherlands, 1992.Google Scholar
- F.P. Preparata and M. I. Shamos. Computational Geometry: An Introduction. Springer-Verlag, New York, second edition, 1988.Google Scholar
- D. M. Warme. Practical Exact Algorithms for Geometric Steiner Problems. Technical report, System Simulation Solutions, Inc., Alexandria, VA 22314, USA, 1996.Google Scholar
- D. M. Warme. A New Exact Algorithm for Rectilinear Steiner Minimal Trees. Technical report, System Simulation Solutions, Inc., Alexandria, VA 22314, USA, 1997.Google Scholar
- M. Zachariasen. Rectilinear Full Steiner Tree Generation. Networks, to appear.Google Scholar