Concepts for bandgap References and voltage measurement systems
This paper gives a review of the concepts and basic problems of bandgap References. It deals with the temperature dependence of the I C (V BE ) characteristics of bipolar transistors, and methods to compensate for this temperature dependence for application in accurate bandgap References. Methods and technologies to calibrate bandgap References are discussed. As case studies, two types of bandgap References are discussed. One of them is implemented in bipolar technology, the other one in CMOS technology. A novel type of bandgap reference, the so-called dynamic bandgap reference, is presented. This bandgap reference is particularly useful for CMOS measurement systems, where it can improve the accuracy of the system. Some basic problems for the accuracy of bandgap References are discussed.
KeywordsOutput Voltage Temperature Coefficient Bipolar Transistor Current Mirror Bandgap Reference
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.F. Hilbiber, “A new semiconductor voltage standard”, Dig. Techn. Papers, ISSCC, pp. 32–33, Feb. 1964.Google Scholar
- K. van der Lingen and G.C.M. Meijer,“Temperature behaviour of bipolar transistors with a low base-doping”, research report TU Delft, The Netherlands, June 1994.Google Scholar
- G.C.M. Meijer, “Integrated circuits and components for bandgap References and temperature transducers”, PhD thesis, TU Delft, The Netherlands, 1982.Google Scholar
- A. van Staveren, J. van Velzen, C.J.M. Verhoeven and A.H.M. van Roermund, “An integratable second-order compensated bandgap reference for 1 V supply”, to be published in: Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal processing, July 1995.Google Scholar
- A. van Staveren, “A systematic design method for bandgap References”, Research Report, Delft University of Technology, March 1995.Google Scholar
- H. Casier, Private communication, March 1995.Google Scholar
- H. Casier, “BICMOS analog circuit design techniques”, Course on practical aspects in analog IC-design, EPFL-Lausanne, June 1992.Google Scholar
- G.C.M. Meijer and A.W. van Herwaarden, “Thermal Sensors”, IOP publ., Bristol, 1994.Google Scholar
- B. Puers and W.M.C. Sansen, “New mechanical sensors in silicon by mi-cromachining piezojunction transistors”, Proc. Transducers ’87, Tokyo, pp. 324–327, 1987.Google Scholar