Clinical Application of Genetic, Oncogenic, and Differentiation Markers of Cancer
Cancer markers are products of cancer cells that reflect both the less differentiated state of cancer cells from normal (oncodevelopmental markers) and the molecular changes in cancer cells that take place because of activation of cell division or inhibition of the process of programmed cell death (apoptosis). The expression of these markers by cancer cells may be used to identify them as abnormal and as an indication of their malignant potential. Thus, the study of cancer markers may contribute not only to the basic understanding of the process of carcinogenesis and the biology of cancer, but also to the diagnosis and evaluation of the prognosis of patients with cancer.
KeywordsBreast Cancer Hepatocyte Growth Factor Proliferate Cell Nuclear Antigen Focal Adhesion Kinase Serological Marker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen D. W. and S. Sell. (1994), Tumor markers, in Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry. C. A. Burtis and E. R. Ashwood, eds. 2nd ed. pp. 897–927.Google Scholar
- Cohen, C., T. Moghazy, D. Sgoutas, and P. D. DeRose (1994), Appl. Immunohistochem. 2, 9–14.Google Scholar
- Eskelinen, M. J., P. K. Lipponen, Y. Collan, and K. J. Syrjanen (1991), Eur. J. Cancer 27, 830–834.Google Scholar
- Humphrey, P. A., D. W. Franquemont, W. A. Geary, et al. (1994), Appl. Immunohistochem. 2, 22–28.Google Scholar
- National Cancer Institute Consensus Dev. Confer. Statement on Treatment of Early Stage Breast Cancer (1990), NIH 8(6).Google Scholar
- Owen, N. C. (1992), New cancer products in Serological Cancer Markers. S. Sell, ed. Humana, Totowa, NJ. pp. 495–523.Google Scholar
- Sahin, A. A. and N. Sneige (1993) Cancer Bull. 45, 495–499.Google Scholar
- Sell, S. and R. Reisfeld (eds.) (1985), Monoclonal Antibodies in Cancer. Humana, Totowa, NJ.Google Scholar
- Sell, S. and B. Wahren (eds.) (1982), Human Cancer Markers, Humana, Totowa, NJ. Sell, S. (ed.) (1992), Serological Cancer Markers. Humana, Totowa, NJ.Google Scholar
- Sell, S. (1993), Crit. Revs. Oncogenesis 4, 419–433.Google Scholar
- Sell, S. (ed.) (1980), Cancer Markers: Diagnostic and Developmental Significance. Humana, Totowa, NJ.Google Scholar
- Stoschek, C. M. and L. E. King (1986), Cancer Res. 46, 1030–1037.Google Scholar