Opamp Design towards Maximum Gain-Bandwidth
One of the major parameters of an opamp is its gain-bandwidth (GBW). Because nowadays the analog systems are pushed to higher frequencies, the design of opamps with a high GBW becomes very important. An overview of design techniques to achieve the maximum GBW in a CMOS technology is presented. An analysis of different feedforward techniques and their effect on the settling time is studied.
KeywordsPhase Margin Current Mirror Differential Pair PMOS Device Output Voltage Swing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Antognetti and G. Massobrio, Semiconductor Device modelling with Spice, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1987.Google Scholar
- Z. Chang and W. Sansen, Low-noise wide-band amplifiers in bipolar and CMOS technologies, Kluwer, Academic Publishers, 1991.Google Scholar
- Z. Chang and W. Sansen, “Low-noise, low-distortion CMOS AM wide-band amplifiers matching a capacitive source”, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. SC-25, no. 3, June 1990, pp. 833–840.Google Scholar
- M. Steyaert, “High performance operational amplifiers and comparators”, Chapter 3 of Analogue-Digital ASICs, Peter Peregrinus Ltd, 1991.Google Scholar
- B. Kamath, R. Meyer, and P. Gray, “Relationship between frequency response and settling time of operational amplifiers”, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. SC-9, no. 6, December 1974, pp. 347–352.Google Scholar
- R. Apfel and P. Gray, “A fast-settling monolithic operational amplifier using doublet compression techniques”, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. SC-9, no. 6, December 1974, pp. 332–340.Google Scholar
- Z. Chang and W. Sansen, “Feedforward compensation techniques for high frequency CMOS amplifiers”, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. SC-25, no. 6, December 1990, pp. 1590–1595.Google Scholar
- F. Op’t Eynde and W. Sansen, “A CMOS wideband amplifier with 800 MHz gain-bandwidth”, IEEE Proc. CICC ‘91,pp.9.1.1–9.1.4.Google Scholar
- E. Sackinger and W. Guggenbuhl, “A high swing, high-impedance MOS cascode circuit”, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. SC-25, no.l, February 1990, pp. 289–298.Google Scholar