In the 1960s, the syndrome of child abuse was introduced to the medical community.1 In the 1970s, battered women banded together to counter spouse abuse, and victims of rape and incest also joined forces. Then, in the late 1970s, doctors, social workers, psychologists, sociologists, and lawyers recognized that elderly clients were being maltreated by caregivers. Systematic observations of maltreated elderly persons have partially codified the syndrome of elder abuse and currently are giving rise to improved diagnosis, prevention, and intervention.
KeywordsNursing Home Elderly Person Adult Child Nursing Home Resident Social Service Agency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.United States House of Representatives, Select Committee on Aging. Elder Abuse: The Hidden Problem. 96th Congress, 1st session, June 23, 1979. Boston, Mass: GPO 96–220; 1980: 50.Google Scholar
- 3.Block MR. Special problems and vulnerability of women. In: Kosberg JI, ed. Abuse and Maltreatment of the Elderly. Boston, Mass: John Wright PSG Publishing Co Inc; 1983: 225.Google Scholar
- 4.Block MR, Sinnott JD. The Battered Elder Syndrome. College Park, Md: University of Maryland Center on Aging; 1979.Google Scholar
- 9.Quinn MJ, Tornita SK. Elder abuse and neglect. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Co Inc; 1986: 267.Google Scholar
- 10.Koin DB. The King Lear syndrome. Presented at the American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting; 1979; Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- 11.Mace NL, Rabins RV. The Thirty-Six Hour Day. Baltimore, Md: The Johns Hopkins University Press; 1982.Google Scholar
- 12.American Medical Association Council on Scientific Affairs: Elder abuse and neglect. JAMA 1987; 257: 966971Google Scholar
- 14.Faulkner LR. Mandating the reporting of suspected cases of elder abuse: an inappropriate, ineffective and ageist reponse to the abuse of older adults. Family Law Q 1982; 16: 69–91.Google Scholar
- 15.Villmoure EE, Bergman, eds. Elder Abuse and Neglect: A Guide for Practitioners and Policy Makers. Salem, Ore: State of Oregon, Office of Elderly Affairs; 1981.Google Scholar