Processing and Deformation Studies on Ultrafine Grained Titanium
Ultrafine grain sizes in the micron range have been developed in titanium by controlled minor alloy additions and deformation processing. The deformation behavior of this material has been studied in the temperature range 77° to 973°K. The strengthening effect of grain refinement is preserved over a wide temperature range. The work hardening rate in the dynamic strain aging region is found to depend on grain size, decreasing with decrease in grain size. The tensile elongation is a minimum in the dynamic strain aging region. Just beyond this region, there is a sharp increase in the necking strain, resulting in large tensile extensions. This sharp rise in necking strain is also a function of grain size, being higher for coarser grain sizes.
KeywordsDynamic Strain Aging Total Elongation Ultimate Stress Tensile Elongation Uniform Strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abrahamson, II, E. P., “Ultrafine Grain Metals”, Burke, J. J. and Weiss, V., ed., Syracuse University Press, Syracuse, 1970, 71.Google Scholar
- 2.Abrahamson, II, E. P. and Ramachandran, V., Fourth Bolton Landing Conference, Bolton Landing, 1974.Google Scholar
- 3.Abrahamson, II, E. P., Trans. TMS-AIME, 224, 1962, 265.Google Scholar
- 4.Monteiro, S. N., Santhanam, A. T. and Reed-Hill, R. E., “The Science, Technology and Application of Titanium”, Jaffee, R. and Promisel, N., ed., Pergamon Press, Oxford and New York, 1970, 503.Google Scholar
- 6.Ramchandran, V. and Reed-Hill, R. E., Metall. Trans., 1, 1970, 2105.Google Scholar
- 7.Santhanam, A. T., Ramachandran, V. and Reed-Hill, R. E., Metall. Trans 1, 1970, 2593.Google Scholar
- 11.Keh, A. S., Nakada, Y. and Leslie, W. C., “Dislocation Dynamics”, Rosenfield, A. F. et al., ed., McGraw Hill, New York, 1968, 381.Google Scholar
- 12.Santhanam, A. T., Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Florida, Gainesville, 1971.Google Scholar
- 13.Santhanam, A. T. and Reed-Hill, R. E., Metall. Trans., 2, 1971, 2619.Google Scholar