3-D Visualization of Arterial Structures and Flow Phenomena
In this chapter we describe the reconstruction of arterial structures using three-dimensional solid modelling. The alternative approaches to three dimensional modelling are discussed and the voxel space system we use for intra-arterial imaging, based on ultrasonic data, is described. The data, acquired with a purpose-built, catheter-mounted ultrasound probe, is used to recreate 3-D computer models of arterial sections in vitro and in vivo. Examples to illustrate the power and flexibility of voxel space modelling in terms of post-processing and software manipulation are given. Preliminary work on tissue differentiation, using arterial models and colour-coding of the image is included. In addition to 3-D arterial visualization, we present early work on theoretical three dimensional flow field representation.
KeywordsBoundary Representation Atheromatous Plaque Arterial Structure Ultrasonic Probe Arterial Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burrell, C.J., Kitney, R.I., Straughan, K., McDonald, A.H., Rothman, M.T., 1989, Intravascular 3-D Imaging of Arteries: A Novel Ultrasound System, Br Heart J., 61: 476.Google Scholar
- Farrell, E.J., 1987, Visual Interpretation of Complex Data, IBM Systems Journal 26: 174.Google Scholar
- Foley, J.D. and van Dam, A., 1984, Fundamentals of Computer Graphics, Pub. Addison Wesley.Google Scholar
- Herman, G.T. and Jayaram, K.U., 1983, Display of 3-D Digital Images Computational Foundations and Medical Applications. IEEE Trans C.G. and A., 39.Google Scholar
- Herman, G.T., 1986, Computerised Reconstruction and 3D Imaging in Medicine. Ann Rev of Comput Science:153.Google Scholar
- Kitney R.I., Moura, L., and Straughan, K., 1987, Three Dimensional Solid Modelling of Arterial Structures using Ultrasound, Proc IEEE (IXth Conf. on Engineering in Medicine and Biology), 1: 401.Google Scholar
- Kitney, R.I., Moura, L., Straughan, K., Burrell, C.J., McDonald, A.H. and Rothman, M.T., 1988, Ultrasonic Imaging of Arterial Structures using 3-D Solid Modelling. Proc.IEEE:Computers in Cardiology 15: 3.Google Scholar
- Kitney, R.I., Burrell, C.J., Moura, L., Straughan, K., McDonald,A.H., Rothman, M.T., 1989a, A Catheter Mounted Ultrasound Probe for 3-D Arterial Reconstruction. SPIE Proc. (Medical Applications of Lasers and Optics), 1068: 185.Google Scholar
- Kitney, R.I., Moura, L., Straughan, K., 1989b, 3-D Visualization of Arterial Structures using Ultrasound and Voxel Modelling, Int J Cardiac Imaging 4: 135.Google Scholar
- Pipes, A, 1985, Solid Modellers: This Year’s Style. CAD/CAM International 9: 20.Google Scholar
- Robb, R.A., et al, 1974, 3-D Visualisation of the Intact Thorax and Contents: A Technique for Cross-sectional Reconstruction from X-ray Views, Computers and Biomedical Research 7:395.Google Scholar