Effects of Alcohol on γ-Glutamyl Transpeptidase (GGTP)
γ-Glutamyl transpeptidase [(γ-glutamyl)-peptide:amino acid γ-glutamyl transferase, EC 18.104.22.168] is a membrane-bound glycoprotein which catalyzes the transfer of the γ-glutamyl moiety of glutathione to various peptide acceptors (Hanes et al., 1952; Rosalki, 1975). GGTP which has been isolated and studied in a wide variety of plant and animal tissues has been found in high concentrations in membrane fractions derived from tissues involved in the transport of small molecules, such as the brush border of proximal convoluted tubules of the kidney and the choroid plexus of brain (Zelazo and Orlowski, 1976; Okonwo et al., 1974). There is evidence to suggest that the enzyme is involved in the active transport of amino acids and biogenic amines across the blood-brain-barrier via the γ-glutamyl cycle (Hagenfeldt et al., 1978; Tsuji et al., 1977).
KeywordsChoroid Plexus Problem Drinker Proximal Convoluted Tubule Peptide Acceptor GGTP Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kok, P.J.M.J., B. Seidel, H.C. Holtkamp and J. Huisman, 1978Google Scholar
- A new procedure for the visualization of multiple forms of gamma glutamyl transferase (GGT). Results in normals, patients receiving enzyme-inducing drugs and patients having liver parenchymal lesions, Clin. Chim. Acta, 90: 209.Google Scholar
- Konrad, P.N., R. Richards, W.N. Valentine, and D.E. Paglia, 1972, y-glutamyl cysteine synthetase deficiency, N. Eng. J. Med., 286–557.Google Scholar
- Lowry, D.H., N.J. Rosebrough, A.L. Farr, and R.J. Randall, 1952, Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent, J. Biol. Chem., 193: 265.Google Scholar
- Reyes, E., 1977, Brain 1-glutamyl transpeptidase levels in mice genetically selected for sensitivity to ethanol, Res. Comm. Chem. Pathol. Pharmacol., 17: 353.Google Scholar
- Reyes, E., 1978, Rat brain y-glutamyl transpeptidase: Effects of alcohol, Res. Comm. Chem. Pathol. Pharmacol., 21: 145.Google Scholar
- Reyes, E., and T.D. Barela, in press, Isolation and pyrification of multiple forms of y-glutamyl transpeptidase from rat brain, Neurochem. Res. Google Scholar
- Reyes, E., and U.R. Miller, in press, Serum gamma-glutamyl trans-peptidase as a diagnostic aid in problem drinkers, Addict. Behay.Google Scholar
- Rosalki, S.B., 1975, Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase, Adv. Clin. Chem., 17: 53Google Scholar
- Rosalki, S.B., and D. Tarlow, 1974, Optimized determination of y-glutamyltransferase by reaction-rate analysis, Clin. Chem. 21: 1121.Google Scholar
- Zelazo, P., and M. Orlowski, 1976, yGlutamyl transpeptidase of sheep kidney cortex isolation, catalytic properties and dissociation into two polypeptide chains, Eur. J. Biochem.,61:147.Google Scholar