Scaling Properties of Cluster and Particle Aggregation
The model of cluster aggregation and several variants of it serve to describe different disordered aggregation processes and their scaling properties. Here, the basic model is introduced and its properties are briefly discussed. Some more recent results are then presented in more detail : simplifying features in high dimension, gelation in cluster aggregation, the role of reaction kinetics, the problem of cluster readjustment and the internal structure of clusters in relation to the growth process. Finally a film, produced to illustrate how clusters aggregate, is described.
KeywordsFractal Dimension Particle Aggregation Cluster Aggregation Smoluchowski Equation Linear Trajectory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.An overview of both theoretical and experimental results can be found in the abstracts of the workshop on “Kinetic models for cluster formation’ (september 17–28, 1984, CECAM, Orsay); R. Jullien, M. Kolb, H. Herrmann and J. Vannimenus, eds. J. Stat. Phys. (April 1985).Google Scholar
- 3.S. R. Forrest and T. A. Witten, J. Phys. A 12, 1109 (1979)Google Scholar
- D. A. Weitz, M. Y. Lin and C. J. Sandroff, Surf. Sci. to appear (1985)Google Scholar
- 6.R. Jullien and M. Kolb, J. Phys. A 17, L 639 (1984)Google Scholar
- 11.R. Ball and T. A. Witten, Conference on Fractals; Gaithersburg Md. (Nov. 1983)Google Scholar
- 15.P. Ricetti, J. Prost and P. Barois, J. de Physique Lett.,L 1137 (1984)Google Scholar
- 16.M. Kolb and H. Herrmann, J. Phys. A Lett., to appearGoogle Scholar
- 17.R. Jullien and P. Meakin, submitted for publicationGoogle Scholar
- 18.M. Kolb, submitted for publicationGoogle Scholar