Investigation of Electrical and Luminescent Properties of Diffused and Epitaxial p-n Junctions in Aluminum-Doped Silicon Carbide
An investigation was made of the current-voltage, luminescence intensity-voltage, capacitance-frequency, luminescence intensity-current, and relaxation characteristics of p-n junctions in silicon carbide. These junctions were prepared by the diffusion of aluminum from the gaseous phase or from solutions in rare-earth elements, as well as by the epitaxial growth of aluminum- or nitrogen-doped p- and n-type SiC films on SiC crystals of the opposite type of conduction (the crystals were also doped with nitrogen and aluminum). A comparison of these characteristics for high-resistivity and low-resistivity samples showed that the junctions in the low-resistivity samples were abrupt and the compensated regions in these samples were thin and had a relatively low resistivity. The fast response, high luminescence efficiency at current densities ≥20–50 A/cm2, and the low noise of the low-resistivity diffused and epitaxial p-n junctions in aluminum-doped silicon carbide should be very useful in their applications as sources of nanosecond light pulses.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.É. E. Violin and G. F. Kholuyanov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 6:1696 (1964).Google Scholar
- 2.G. F. Kholuyanov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 6:3336 (1964).Google Scholar
- 3.Yu. S. Blank, Yu. A. Vodakov, and A. A. Mostovskii, Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 5:2228 (1963).Google Scholar
- 4.V. I. Pavlichenko, I. V. Ryzhikov, T. G. Kmita, P. M. Karageorgii-Alkalaev, and A. Yu. Leiderman, Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 8:1239 (1966).Google Scholar
- 5.Yu. S. Krasnov, T. G. Kmita, I. V. Ryzhikov, V. I. Pavlichenko, O. T. Sergeev, and Yu. M. Suleimanov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 10:1140 (1968).Google Scholar
- 6.V. I. Pavlichenko and I. V. Ryzhikov, Fiz. Tekh. Poluprov., 2:1644 (1968).Google Scholar
- 8.I. V. Ryzhikov, V. I. Pavlichenko, and T. G. Kmita, Radiotekhnika i Élektronika, 12:848 y (1967).Google Scholar
- 9.A. Yu. Leiderman and P. M. Karageorgii-Alkalaev, Radiotekhnika i Élektronika, 10:720 (1965).Google Scholar
- 10.V. M. Gusev, V. I. Kurinnyi, I. I. Kruglov, I. V. Ryzhikov, B. V. Sestroretskii, and Yu. A. Sin’kov, Fiz. Tekh. Poluprov., 3:903 (1969).Google Scholar
- 13.G. A. Lomakina, Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 7:600 (1965).Google Scholar
- 14.V. I. Pavlichenko, I. V. Ryzhikov, and T. G. Kmita, this volume, p. 115.Google Scholar