Current-Voltage Characteristics of p-n-p-n Structures Governed By Recombination, Generation, and Avalanche Multiplication Processes in p-n Junctions
The principal parameters of the current-voltage characteristics of silicon planar thyristors are calculated taking into account the recombination, generation, and avalanche multiplication in p-n junctions. Analytic expressions are obtained for the determination of the turn-off current, critical gate current, and turn-off gain of an asymmetrical silicon planar thyristor. The dependence of the turn-off current on the gate current and the dependence of the turn-off gain on the anode current are calculated. Allowance is made for the avalanche multiplication of carriers in the central p-n junction and analytic expressions are derived for the turn-on current and the breakover voltage. It is shown that the breakover voltage of planar thyristors designed for low-voltage operation is close to the breakdown voltage of the central p-n junction, which is due to the low value of the leakage current of this junction.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.A. A. Lebedev, A. I. Uvarov, and V. E. Chelnokov, Physics of p—n Junctions, Zinatne, Riga (1966);Google Scholar
- 3a.A. A. Lebedev, Dissertation for Candidate’s Degree, Physicotechnical Institute, Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Leningrad (1967).Google Scholar
- 4.Yu. S. Ryabinkin, Radiotekhn. i Élektron., 10:2205 (1965);Google Scholar
- 4a.Yu. S. Ryabinkin, Radiotekhn. i Élektron., 11:1910 (1966).Google Scholar
- 7.H. F. Storm, Electro-Technology, 73:62 (1963).Google Scholar