Calculation of the Current—Voltage Characteristic for a Heterojunction Tunnel Diode
The WKB method is used to analyze the expression for the interband tunneling by comparing the arguments of an exponential function using attenuated electron functions and the effective-mass method. A method is thus developed for calculating a tunnel transition between bands of different crystals. An expression is also derived for calculating the current—voltage characteristic of a heterojunction tunnel diode and used to make this calculation for Ge—GaAs. It is shown that the value of the current may depend considerably on the asymmetry of the space-charge layers. Moreover, a calculation for the most favorable band diagram shows a very large increase of the current.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.A. I. Gubanov and S. N. Dobrynin, Izv. Leningr. Élektrotekh, Inst. (1967).Google Scholar
- 4.S. N. Dobrynin, present collection, p. 51.Google Scholar
- 5.S. N. Dobrynin, Fiz . Tekh. Poluprov., 3:16 (1969).Google Scholar
- 7.P. J. Price, Proc. Sixth Intern. Conf. on Physics of Semiconductors, Exeter, 1962, Publ. by Institute of Physics and Physical Society, London (1962), p. 99.Google Scholar
- 9.I. I. Ivanchik, Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 3:103 (1961).Google Scholar
- 10.A. I. Gubanov and S. N. Dobrynin, Fiz. Tekh. Poluprov., 1:323 (1967).Google Scholar
- 11.L. V. Keldysh, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz., 33:994 (1957).Google Scholar
- 12.G. E. Pikus, Fundamentals of the Theory of Semiconductor Devices, Moscow (1965).Google Scholar