PUVA Therapy: Immunologic and Genotoxic Approaches to Risk Evaluation
PUVA (psoralen and near ultraviolet light) is a DNA-damaging, clinically effective treatment. If we have patience, studies of PUVA therapy should give us a rare opportunity to learn much about not only the diseases it treats, but also about diseases it may cause. PUVA is a gamble, a calculated risk.
KeywordsMycosis Fungoides Alopecia Areata Xeroderma Pigmentosum Vitiligo Patient PUVA Therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bridges, B.A., Greaves, M., Polani, P.E., and Wald, N., in press, Do treatments available for psoriasis patients carry a genetic or carcinogenic risk? A report from an expert group of the International Commission for Protection against Environmental Mutagens and Carcinogens, Mutation Res. and Biol. Zentr.Google Scholar
- Bridges, B.A., Strauss, G.H., Hall-Smith, P., and Price, M., 1981, Induction of somatic mutations and impairment of immune capacity by PUVA treatment and their relation to skin cancer in man, in: “Psoralens in Cosmetics and Dermatology”, Pergamon Press, Paris.Google Scholar
- Morison, W.L., Woehler, M.E., and Parrish, J.A., 1979, PUVA and systemic immunosuppression in guinea pigs. J. Invest. Dermatol., 72: 273.Google Scholar
- Reed, W.D., 1976, Treatment of psoriasis with oral psoralens and longwave ultraviolet light, Acta Dermato-vener., 56: 315.Google Scholar
- Stern, R.S., Thibodeau, L.A., Kleinerman, R.A., Parrish, J.A., Fitzpatrick, et al., 1979, Risk of cutaneous carcinoma in patients treated with oral methoxsalen photochemotherapy for psoriasis, New. Engl. J. Med., 300–309.Google Scholar
- Strauss, G.H., in press, PUVA-Gambling with a system? Int. J. Dermatol.Google Scholar
- Strauss, G.H., Bridges, B.A., Greaves, M., Hall-Smith, P., Price, M., and Vella-Briffa, D. 1980, Inhibition of delayed hypersensitivity reaction in skin (DNCB test) by 8-methoxypsoralen photochemotherapy: possible basis for pseudo-promoting action in skin carcinogenesis? Lancet, 2: 556.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Updike, J., 1979, From the journal of a leper, in: “Problems and Other Stories”, Knopf, New York.Google Scholar
- Vella-Briffa, D., and Warin, A.P., 1979, Photochemotherapy in psoriasis: A review, J. R. Soc. Med., 72: 440.Google Scholar