The Relationship Between Dental and Somatic Development in Puberty
A comparison of dental development with other indicators of somatic development has shown a weak and, in general, not statistically significant relationship (Demirjian, 1978). However, previous studies based on small non-random samples have only comprised data for a certain tooth or teeth and a limited number of other maturity indicators.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bjärk, A., and Helm, S., 1967, Prediction of the age of maximum pubertal growth in body height, Angle Orthodont, 37: 134.Google Scholar
- Demirjian, A., 1978, Dentition, in: ‘Human Growth 2’, F. Falkner and J.M. Tanner, ed., Baillière Tindall, London.Google Scholar
- Filipsson, R., and Hall, K., 1976, Correlation between dental maturity, height development and sexual maturation in normal girls, Ann. Hum. Biol., 3: 205.Google Scholar
- Garn, S.M., Lewis, A.B., and Kerewsky, R.S., 1965, Genetic, nutritional, and maturational correlates of dental development, J. Dent. Res., 44: 228.Google Scholar
- Hâgg, U., 1980, The pubertal growth spurt and maturity indicators of dental,skeletal and pubertal development, Dissertation, Maim.Google Scholar
- Flagg, U., and Taranger, J., 1982, Maturity indicators and the puber- tal growth spurt, Am. J. Orthod. Accepted for publication.Google Scholar
- Karlberg, P., Taranger, J., Engström, I., Karlberg, J., Landsträm, T.,Lichtenstein, H., Lindstr3m, B., and Svennberg-Redegren, 1.,1976, Physical growth from birth to 16 years and longitudinal outcome of the study during the same age period. Acta Paediatr, Scand., suppl. 258.Google Scholar
- Meredith H.V., 1959, Relation between the eruption of selected man-dibular permanent teeth and the circumpubertal acceleration in stature, J. Dent. Child., 26: 75.Google Scholar
- Nanda, R.S., 1960, Eruption of human teeth, Am. J. Orthod., 46: 363.Google Scholar
- Tanner, J.M., 1962, Growth at adolescence, 2nd ed., Blackwell, Oxford.Google Scholar