Over the last 10 years there have been a number of reports of the endocrinological events that occur during normal puberty. These studies, some cross-sectional and some longitudinal in design, have recently been the subject of reviews by Sizonenko (1978) and Tanner (1980). In the majority of these studies a variety of different hormones have been the subject of the subject of the investigation but they have usually included luteinising hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and prolactin (PRL) representing the pituitary peptide hormones, and a great variety of adrenal and gonadal steroids. Mostly the changes in hormone concentrations have been related to chronological age and pubertal stages as formalised by Tanner (1962). Only rarely have bone-age data been available. The auxological data for comparison with the hormonal data has, in general, been skimpy, depending mostly upon the puberty stages and measurement of height or weight.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cameron, N., 1978, The Methods of Auxological Anthropometry, in: Human Growth, vol. 2, F. Faulkner and J.M. Tanner, eds., Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Lee, P.A., Jaffe, R.B. and-Midgley, A.R., 1974, Serum gonadotrophin, testosterone and prolactirr concentrations throughout puberty in boys: A longitudinal study, J. Clin Endocrinol Metab., 39 664–672.Google Scholar
- Preece, M.A., 1980, The variation in hormone concentrations at puberty, in: Adolescent Medicine: Present and Future Concepts C.A. Rigg and R.B. Shearin, eds., Year Book Medical Publications, Chicago and London.Google Scholar
- Preece, M.A., Cameron, N., Baines Preece, J.C. and Silman, R., 1980, Auxological and serum hormonal changes during puberty, in: Pathophysiology of Puberty: Proceedings of the Serono Symposia, vol. 36, E. Cacciari and A. Prader, eds., Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Silman, R.E., Leone, K.M., Hooper, R.J.L. and Preece, M.A., 1979, Melatonin, the pineal gland and human puberty, Nature, 282: 301–302.Google Scholar
- Sizonenko, P.C., 1978, Endocrinology in preadolescents and adolescents, Am. J. Dis. Child., 132: 704–712.Google Scholar
- Tanner, J.M., 1962, Growth at adolescence, 2nd ed. Blackwell Scienific Publications, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Tanner, J.M., 1980, Endocrinology of puberty, in: Clinical Paediatric Endocrinology, C.G.D. Brook, ed., Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Tanner, J.M. and Gupta, D., 1968, A longitudinal study of the excretion of individual steroids in children from 8 to 12 years old, J. Endocrinol,. 41: 139–136.Google Scholar
- Tanner, J.M., Whitehouse, R.H. and Takaishi, M., 1966, Standards from birth to maturity for height, weight, height velocity and weight velocity: British children 1965, Arch. Dis. Child., 41: 454–471.Google Scholar