Biological Activities and Targeting of Soluble Macromolecules
Macromolecules differ from small molecular-weight compounds in many aspects, and that has been the main reason for delays in their study and practical applications. Macromolecules may form an important class of drugs, but their potential in that respect, with the exception of polypeptidic hormones, still has not been realized. This review deals with the similarities in pharmacodynamic phases (drug-receptor interactions) of small and large molecular-weight compounds and the considerable differences these two classes show in pharmacokinetic phases (drug distribution) of their action. The results obtained both on synthetic and natural macromolecules are used as examples because of the interests of authors in synthetic macromolecules and their interactions with the cell or their components in vitro and in the field of enzyme replacement therapy, where effects of the introduction of enzymes into animals are studied. There is only a limited formal overlap between these fields; nevertheless, examination of respective results leads to similar conclusions, a situation which perhaps may be compared to a description of the same phenomena in different languages.
KeywordsSialic Acid Enzyme Replacement Therapy Permeation Rate Cyanogen Bromide Enzyme Therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Goldstein, L. Aaronow, and S.M. Kalman, in: “Principles of Drug Action,” John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, (1974). pp. 166–192.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Pitha, in: “Targeted Drugs,”, E.L. Goldberg, L.G. Donaruma, and O. Vogl, eds., John Wiley and Sons,Inc., New York, in press. SonsGoogle Scholar
- 4.J. Pitha, J. Zjawiony, R.J. Lefkowitz, and M.G. Caron, Proc.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Pitha, J. Zjawiony, R.J. Lefkowitz, and M.G. Caron, Makromol. Chem., in press.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Pitha, B. Hughes, and N.A. Berger, manuscript in preparation.Google Scholar
- 9.E. Hurwitz, M. Wilchek, and J. Pitha, J. Appl. Bichem. 2: 25 (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.J. Pitha, J. Zjawiony, B. Rosner, and V. Cristofalo, manuscript in preparation.Google Scholar
- 36.J.W. Marsh, J. Denis, and J.C. Wriston, Jr., J. Biol. Chem. 252: 7678 (1977).Google Scholar