Observation of a Raman Echo
The microscopic decay time T2 of induced coherence in a two-level system is often an important parameter in characterizing interactions between the two-level systems or between them and their surroundings. This has been traditionally studied by spin echo  and photon echo experiments. In this powerful class of experiments, radiation which is resonant with the two-level system is required to induce coherence between the levels. It would be advantageous, however, in those many cases where resonant radiation is not readily available or its use inconvenient, to be able to induce the coherence in the system by a nonresonant method. It has been shown in a variety of experiments in past years that coherence can be produced by two-wave light mixing or by stimulated Raman scattering.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. L. Hahn, Phys. Rev. 80, 580 (1950). For detailed discussion see, for example, W. B. Mims, in Electron Paramagnetic Resonance, edited by S. Geschwind ( Plenum, New York, 1972 ).Google Scholar
- 2.N. A. Kurnit, I. D. Abella, and S. R. Hartmann, Phys. Rev. Lett. 13, 567 (1964). See also, for example, J. P. Gordon, C. H. Wang, C. K. N. Patel, R. E. Slusher, and W. J. Tomlinson, Phys. Rev. 179, 294 (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.J. A. Giordmaine and W. Kaiser, Phys. Rev. 144,676 (1966); for later references see A. Laubereau, G. Wochner, and W. Kaiser, Phys. Rev. A 13,2212 (1976). See, for examples, Richard G. Brewer and E. L. Hahn, Phys. Rev. A 8,464 (1973); M. M. T. Loy, Phys. Rev. Lett. 36,1454 (1976); V. T. Nguyen, E. G. Burkhardt, and P. W. Wolff, Opt. Commun. 16,145 (1976), and references therein.Google Scholar
- 4.S. R. Hartmann, IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 4,802 (1968); R. Weingarten, Ph.D. thesis, Columbia University, 1972 (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 7.P. A. Wolff, Phys. Rev. Lett. 16, 225 (1966).Google Scholar
- 8.R. E. Slusher, C. K. N. Patel, and P. A. Fleury, Phys. Rev. Lett. 18, 77 (1967).Google Scholar
- 9.C. K. N. Patel and E. D. Shaw. Lett. 24, 451 (1970); C. K. N. Patel, in Laser Spectroscopy, edited by R. G. Brewer and A. Mooradian ( Plenum, New York, 1974 ).Google Scholar
- 13.Terrence L. Brown and P. A. Wolff, Phys. Rev. Lett. 29,362 (1972); V. T. Nguyen and T. 359 (1972). J. Bridges, Phys. Rev. Lett. 29 Google Scholar
- 14.R. G. Brewer, Physics Today 50, May 1977.Google Scholar