Instabilities and Routes to Chaos in a Unidirectional, Inhomogeneously Broadened Ring Laser
Essentially all of the theoretical studies of laser instabilities in inhomogenously broadened media have been restricted to non-Doppler broadened lasers or unidirectional ring lasers to avoid the complications of the spatial variations caused by the standing wave pattern in a Fabry-Perot cavity and to avoid effects of the two holes burned in the gain profile by single mode operation [1–7]. In contrast, the reports of single-mode laser instabilities in dc-excited systems have all been for Fabry-Perot lasers, making comparisons between theory and experiments difficult at times [1,8–13]. The unidirectional ring theory is significantly simpler than the standing wave Doppler theory so there has been considerable interest in providing a suitable laser for experimental tests.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L.W. Casperson, IEEE J. Quant. Elec., QE-14 756 (1978).Google Scholar
- 2.L.W. Casperson, Phys. Rev. A, 21, 911 (1980); 23, 248 (1981).Google Scholar
- 4.M.L. Minden and L.W. Casperson, IEEE J. Quant. Elec., QE-18 1952 (1982).Google Scholar
- 5.L.W. Casperson in Third New Zealand Symposium on Laser Physics Lecture Notes in Physics, eds. D.F. Walls and J. Harvey ( Springer: NY, 1983 ).Google Scholar
- 6.P. Mandel, Opt. Comm., 44, 400 (1983); 45, 269 (1983) and in this volume,. p. 579.Google Scholar
- 7.L.A. Lugiato, L.M. Narducci, D.K. Bandy and N.B. Abraham, Opt. Comm., 45 (to be published 1983); and in this volume, p. 217.Google Scholar
- 10.N.B. Abraham, T. Chyba, M.Coleman, R.S. Gioggia, N.J. Halas, L.M. Hoffer, S.-N. Liu, M. Maeda, and J.C. Wesson in Third New Zealand Symposium on Laser Physics op. cit..Google Scholar
- 11.R.S. Gioggia and N.B. Abraham, submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett. (1983) and in this volume, p. 563.Google Scholar
- 12.R.S. Gioggia and N.B. Abraham, Opt. Comm., to be published.Google Scholar
- 13.N.M. Lawandy and G.A. Koepf, IEEE J. Quant. Elec., QE-16 701 (1980); N.M. Lawandy, IEEE J. Quant. Elec., QE-18 1992 (1982).Google Scholar
- 14.S.-S. Chuang, H. Grace, and H. Gamo, IEEE J. Quant. Elec., QE-3, 243 ( 1967 ); S.-S. Chuang, Ph.D. Thesis, U. Rochester (1970).Google Scholar
- 16.S. Hendow, private communication.Google Scholar