Noise and Fluctuations in Multiphoton Processes
In multiphoton processes atoms respond in a nonlinear way to (laser) light and its fluctuations.1–14 An atom absorbing a number of photons is sensitive not only to the mean intensity and bandwidth of the light, but also to the kind and details of the fluctuations, i.e., to the higher-order statistics of the radiation field. During the past few years we have gained a considerable theoretical understanding of photon correlation effects in resonant multiphoton processes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.For a review and references to earlier papers see: J. H. Eberly, in: “Laser Spectroscopy IV,” H. Walther and K. W. Rothe, eds., Springer, Berlin (1979), p. 80; P. Zoller, in: “Laser Physics,” Proc. of the Second New Zealand Summer School in Laser Physics, D. F. Walls and J. D. Harvey, Eds., Academic, New York (1980), p. 99; P. Lambropoulos and P. Zoller, Proc. of the Second International Conference on Multiphoton Processes, Budapest (1980), p. 193; A. T. Georges and P. Lambropoulos, Adv. Electr. Electron Phys. 54:191 (1980); S. Stenholm, preprint.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Zoller, G. Alber and R. Salvador, Phys. Rev. A 24:398 (1981) and references cited.Google Scholar
- 4.V. Yu. Finkelshtein, Phys. Rev. A 27: 361 (1981).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Helm and P. Zoller, to be published.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Zoller and J. Cooper, to be published.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Zoller, J. Phys. B 15:2911 (1982); M. Lewenstein, P. Zoller and J. Mostowski, J. Phys. B 16:563 (1983) and references cited.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Daniell and G. Ferrante, J. Phvs. B 14:L635 (1981) and references cited.Google Scholar
- 15.N. G. Van Kampen, “Stochastic Processes in Physics and Chemistry,” North-Holland, Amsterdam (1981).Google Scholar
- 16.H. Risken, “The Fokker-Planck Equation: Methods of Solution and Applications,” in: Springer Series in Synergetics H. Haken, ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin (in press).Google Scholar
- 17.L. N. Menegozzi and W. E. Lamb, Jr., Phys. Rev. A 17:701 (1978) and references cited on amplified spontaneous emission.Google Scholar
- 20.S. N. Dixit and P. S. Sahni, Phys. Rev. Lett. 50:1273 (1983) and references cited.Google Scholar
- 21.K. Wodkiewicz, Z. Phys. B 42: 95 (1981).Google Scholar
- 22.For a discussion of a multimode theory see N. B. Abraham, J. C. Huang, D. A. Kranz and E. B. Rockower Phys. Rev. A 24: 2556 (1981)Google Scholar