Rate Model for Ortho-Parahydrogen Reaction on a Highly Active Catalyst
Measurements were made of the low-temperature ortho-parahydrogen reaction rate obtained with an extremely active nickel oxide silica gel ‘catalyst, The rate of the ortho-parahydrogen reaction on this catalyst is higher than the rate of any known heterogeneous catalytic reaction that has been studied from the standpoint of mass and energy transport limitations to the reaction rate. Table I lists the magnitude of some typical chemical reaction rates for heterogeneous catalytic reactions, including the magnitude of the ortho-parahydrogen conversion rate for the catalyst used in this study.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.D. H. Weitzel, J. H. Blake, and M. Konecnik, in: Advances in Cryogenic Engineering, Vol. 4, Plenum Press, New York (1960), p. 286.Google Scholar
- 4.R. N. Keeler, D. H. Weitzel, J. H. Blake, and M. Konecnik, in: Advances in Cryogenic Engineering, Vol. 5, Plenum Press, New York (1960), p. 511.Google Scholar
- 7.G. E. Schmauch, J. F. Kucirka, and R. G. Clark, Chem. Eng. Progr., 59(8):55 (1963).Google Scholar
- 8.E. G. Brentari, P. J. Giarratano, and R. V. Smith, NBS Tech. Note No. 317 (Sept. 20, 1965).Google Scholar
- 9.W. H. McAdams, Heat Transmission, 3rd ed., McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York (1954), p. 72.Google Scholar
- 13.G. A. Hougen, B. Gamson, and G. Thodos, Trans. A.I.Ch.E., 39:1 (1943).Google Scholar
- 14.O. A. Hougen and C. R. Wilke, Trans. A.I.Ch.R., 41:445 (1945).Google Scholar
- 17.A. H. Singleton, J. F. Kucirka, and A. Lapin, in: “Investigation of the Para-Ortho Shift of Hydrogen”, U.S. Air Force Tech. Rept. AFAPL-TR-66–111 (Sept. 1966).Google Scholar
- 18.A. H. Singleton, Ph.D. Dissertation, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania (1967).Google Scholar
- 19.E. G. Biski, J. F. Kucirka, and G. E. Schmauch, “Investigation of the Para-Ortho Shift of Hydrogen”, ASD-TR-64–48 (Mar. 1964).Google Scholar
- 21.A. J. Kidnay and M. J. Hiza, in: Advances in Cryogenic Engineering, Vol. 12, Plenum Press, New York (1967), p. 730.Google Scholar