Active specific immunotherapy (ASI). An immunological approach to ovarian cancer treatment
The response rate of ovarian cancer to platinum based (cisplatin and carboplatin) chemotherapies has given cause for optimism in the management of metastatic ovarian cancer, but we are still faced with the challenge that more than 50% of these patients have died within five years of diagnosis and commencing chemotherapy. Alternative second line cytotoxic therapies have not significantly influenced the survival of women with residual or relapsing metastatic ovarian cancer. What can we offer the young woman who has been treated with cisplatin or carboplatin and who is at high risk of relapse because of bulky or high grade disease at presentation or because of a persisting elevated serum CA125 antigen level?
KeywordsOvarian Cancer Keyhole Limpet Hemocyanin Complement Dependent Cytotoxicity Active Specific Immunotherapy Metastatic Ovarian Cancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Hanisch, F.G., Uhlenbruek G., Egge, H. et al. (1989) A B72.3 second-generation monoclonal antibody (CC49) defines the mucin-carried carbohydrate epitope Galβ(l-3)[NeuAcα(2–6)]GalNAc. J. Biol. Chem., 370, 21–6.Google Scholar
- 6.MacLean, G.D., McEwan, A., Noujaim A.A. et al. (1991) Two novel monoclonal antibodies have potential for gynecologic cancer imaging. Antibody Immunocon. Radiopharm., 4, 297–308.Google Scholar
- 15.Kobayashi, H., Terao, T., Kawashima Y. et al. (1992) Serum sialyl Tn as an independent predictor of poor prognosis in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer, J. Clin. Oncol, 10, 95–101.Google Scholar
- 16.Longenecker, B.M., Reddish, M., Miles, D. et al. (1993) Synthetic tumor associated sialyl- Tn antigen as an immunotherapeutic cancer vaccine. Vaccine Res., in pressGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ding. L. Lalani, E., Reddish, M. et al. (1992) Immunogenicity of synthetic peptides related to the core peptide sequence encoded by the human MUCl gene: effect of immunization of the growth of murine mammary adenocarcinoma cells transfected with the human MUCl gene.Cancer Immunol Immunother., 36, 9–17.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.De Bono, E. (1971) Practical Thinking, Penguin Book, Harmondsworth, Chapter 7.Google Scholar