Automatic Identification of Seismic Wave Arrivals
The problem of identification of seismic-wave arrivals consists in indicating which wave corresponds to a signal arrival (“phase”) that has been isolated in processing a recording of an earthquake or explosion. The identification of body waves that arrive at teleseismic distances will be considered in this paper. The classical tables  list approximately 60 such waves. The number of phases that can be practically distinguished on one recording is, of course, less and only very rarely exceeds 5–10.
KeywordsFocal Depth Body Wave Impulsive Phasis Fundamental Wave International Seismological
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bullen, K. E. (1953), An Introduction to the Theory of Seismology, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- 2.Keilis-Borok, V. I., S. S. Mebel’, I. I. Pyatetskii-Shapiro, L. Yu. Vartanova, and T. S. Zhelankina, “Computer determination of earthquake focal depth,” this volume, p. 16.Google Scholar
- 3.Keilis-Borok, V. I., “Seismology and logic,” this volume, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 4.Kilinchuk, L. M., and T. B. Yanovskaya (1968), “The intensities of fundamental seismic waves,” Computational Seismology, No. 4, Moscow, Nauka, pp. 226–251.Google Scholar
- 5.Keilis-Borok, V. I., L. G. Pavlova, I. I. Pyatetskii-Shapiro, P. T. Reznyakovskii, and T. S. Zhelankina, “Computer determination of earthquake epicenters,” this volume, p. 13.Google Scholar
- 6.Arnold, E. P., and P. L. Willmore (1966), “A progress report on the International Seismological Research Centre,” paper presented at the Fourth International Symposium on Geophysical Theory and Computers, Cambridge, England.Google Scholar
- 8.Fluendy, A., D. M. McGregor, and P. L. Willmore (1966), “The collection of seismic station readings,” Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond., 290A:461–466.Google Scholar
- 9.Jeffreys, H., and K. E. Bullen (1940), Seismological Tables, London, British Association for the Advancement of Science, Gray-Milne Trust.Google Scholar
- 12.International Seismological Centre, Bulletin for January, 1964, Edinburgh, 1967.Google Scholar