Precursor-Product Relationship in Vascular Eicosanoid Formation after Manipulation of Dietary Fatty Acids in Experimental Animals
The metabolic relationship between the long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA), arachidonic acid (AA), and the prostaglandin system was discovered two decades ago. Although information on the eicosanoid family has considerably grown since then, our understanding of the complex relationships between the intake of the fatty acid precursors with the diet and the balance in the formation of various eicosanoids in a given tissue or district is still quite limited.
KeywordsArachidonic Acid Essential Fatty Acid Dietary Fatty Acid Arachidonic Acid Content Arachidonic Acid Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.R. Brenner, Nutritional and hormonal factors influencing desaturation of Essential Fatty Acids, in: “Progress in Lipid Research” vol. 20, R.T. Holman Ed. Pergamon Press (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.H. Sprecher, Biochemistry of Essential Fatty Acids, in: “Progress in Lipid Research” vol. 20, R.T. Holman Ed., Pergamon Press (1981).Google Scholar
- 3.J.J. Bernert and H. Sprecher, Studies to determine the role rates of chain elongation and desaturation play in regulating the unsaturated fatty acid composition of rat liver lipids, Biochim Biophys. Acta, 398: 354 (1975).Google Scholar
- 6.W. Siess, B. Scherer, B. Bohlig, P. Roth, I. Kurzman and P.C. Weber, Platelet membrane fatty acids, platelet aggregation and thromboxane formation during mackerel diet, Lancet i: 441 (1980).Google Scholar
- 7.T. Terano, A. Hirai, T. Hamazaki, S. Kobayashi, T. Fujuta, Y. Tamura and A. Kumagai. Effect of oral administration of highly purified eicosapentaenoic acid on platelet function, blood viscosity and red-cell deformability in healthy human subjects, Atheroscl. 46 (3): 321 (1983).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.E. Tremoli, A. Petroni, C. Galli, R. Paoletti, P. Puska, R. Dougherty and J. Iacono, North Karelian Study: Changes in dietary fat reduce Thromboxane B2 formation by platelets only in male subjects - Preliminary report, Adv. Prostag. Thromb. Leuko. Res. 12:203 (1983).Google Scholar