Estrogen Effects on the Skeleton
Although estrogens have been widely used in the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis for the last quarter century, surprisingly little is known of the effects of these hormones on adult skeletal metabolism. Furthermore, as has been usual in endocrine research, more is known of lower animals than of man. I will review the better known (and probably less relevant) skeletal effects of estrogens In birds, mice, and rats, will summarize what is known of estrogen effects in higher mammals and in menopausal women, will review with you our own results using calcium balance and calcium kinetic studies in women, and will conclude with a tentative effort at an explanation of estrogen effects on the adult skeleton.
KeywordsEstrogen Effect Ethinyl Estradiol Calcium Balance Skeletal Effect Estradiol Benzoate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.McLean, F. C, and Urist, M. R.: Bone, Fundamentals of the physiology of skeletal tissue. 3rd Ed., pp. 119–124, U. Clin, Press, Chicago, III. (1968).Google Scholar
- 2.Budy, A. M., Urist, M. R, and McLean, F.C.: The effect of estrogens on the growth apparatus of the bones of immature rats. Am. J. Path. 28:1145–1167, (1952).Google Scholar
- 3.Gardner, W. U., and Pfeiffer, C. A.: Influence of estrogens and androgens on the skeletal system. Physiol. Rev., 23:139–165 (1943).Google Scholar
- 4.Wilkins, L.: The Diagnosis and Treatment of Endocrine Disorder in Childhood and Adolescence. 3rd Ed., Ed. R. M. Blizzard and C. J. Migeon, Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, III. (1965).Google Scholar
- 10.Nordin, B. E. C.: Hormones and Calcium Metabolism. In Calcified Tissues 1965. Proc. 3rd European Symp. on Calcified Tissues, Ed. H. Fleisch, H. J. J. Blackwood and M. Owen, Springer-Verlay, New York, Inc. 1966, pp, 226–241.Google Scholar
- 12.Albright, F. and Reifenstein, E. C., Jr.: The parathyroid qlands and metabolic bone disease. Baltimore, 1948, Williams & Williams Co.Google Scholar
- 17.Jowsey, J.: Age changes In human bone. Clin. Orthopaed. 17:210 (1960).Google Scholar
- 18.Frost, H. M.: Bone remodelling dynamics. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, III. (1963).Google Scholar