Radiation Induced Reactions of Glutathione with Oxygen and their Possible Role in Biological Systems
The reactivity of some thiyl radicals with molecular oxygen were measured and reported much before the intracellular thiols began to arouse the wave of interest that has characterized the last decade or so (1,2). Cellular thiols, almost entirely consisting of glutathione (GSH), are considered at the present time as one of the most important system capable of protecting cells against free radicals formed during oxidative metabolism or from exposure to drugs or ionizing radiation.
KeywordsPeroxyl Radical Pulse Radiolysis Thiyl Radical Opinion Reaction Italian National Research Council
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.M. Lai, 60Co-γ radiolysis of reduced glutathione in aerated solutions at pH values between 1–7.0. J. Chem. 1092–1097 (1976).Google Scholar
- 7.R. L. Willson, Organic peroxy free radicals as ultimate agents in oxygen toxicity. In Oxidative Stress (H. Sies, Ed.) pp. 41–72, Academic Press, London, 1985.Google Scholar
- 8.G. Simone, J. C. M. Bremner, M. Tamba, B. R. Guerra, and M. Quintiliani, Thiol peroxyl radicals and radiation-induced enzyme inactivation. J. Radiat. Biol. 739 (1986) [Abstract].Google Scholar
- 11.M. Tamba and M. Quintiliani, Kinetic studies of reactions involved in hydrogen transfer from glutathione to carbohydrate radicals. Radiat. Phys. Chem. 259–263 (1984).Google Scholar
- 12.R. J. Hodgkiss and R. W. Middleton, Enhancement of misonidazole radiosensitization by an inhibitor of glutathione biosynthesis. Int. J. Radiat. Biol. 179–183 (1983).Google Scholar
- 14.J. E. Biaglow, M. E. Varnes, E. P. Clark and E. P. Epp, The role of thiols in cellular response to radiation and drugs. Radiat. Res. 437–455 (1983).Google Scholar
- 15.J. E. Biaglow, M. E. Varnes, E. P. Epp, E. P. Clark and M. Astor, Redox enzymes and thiol radicals. In Oxygen and Sulfur Radicals in Chemistry and Medicine (A. Breccia, M. A. J. Rodgers and G. Semerano, Eds.) pp. 89–102, Edizioni Scientifiche “Lo Scarabeo”, Bologna, Italy, 1986.Google Scholar