Electronic Government Service Efficiency: How to Measure Efficiency of Electronic Services
This chapter discusses efficiency of e-Government services. How is it possible to measure efficiency of e-Government services? The key message is that e-Government service efficiency should be assessed both from the user perspective and the administration perspective. Current literature is examined, and a set of indicators is proposed together with a methodology to use these indicators to calculate the efficiency gain of using electronic services, both from citizen/business perspective and administration perspective. Two different approaches are presented. The first approach requires collection of quantitative data from both users and the administration and calculates the efficiency gain. The second (lightweight) approach is less rigorous but still useful to prioritize between different services.
KeywordsEfficiency Gain Interactive Form Electronic Service Public Sector Efficiency Lightweight Approach
The eGovMon project was co-funded by the Research Council of Norway under the VERDIKT program. Project no.: VERDIKT 183392/S10.
The author wants to thank the eGovMon core team for valuable input and discussions.
Some of the ideas in this chapter were first presented in a workshop titled “Efficient and Effective e-Government” arranged by the European Commission on March 17, 2011.
- Axelsson K, Melin U, Lindgren I (2012) Public e-services for agency efficiency and citizen benefit—findings from a stakeholder centered analysis. Govern Inform Q 30(2013):10–22Google Scholar
- de Bruijn H (2007) Managing performance in the public sector, 2nd edn. Routledge, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Johnsen Å (2007) Resultatstyring i offentlig sektor. Fagbokforlaget, BergenGoogle Scholar
- Kalb A (2010) Public sector efficiency—applications to local governments in Germany. Gabler Research, WiesbadenGoogle Scholar
- NOU (1991) Mot bedre vitende? Effektiviseringsmuligheter i offentlig sector. Oslo, Ministry of Labor and Administration, p 28Google Scholar
- Oxford Dictionary of Business and Management, fifth edition (2009) Oxford University Press. http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780199234899.001.0001/acref-9780199234899-e-2138?rskey=MqlhhJ&result=2217Google Scholar
- Oxford English Dictionary (2006) Oxford University Press. http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780199234899.001.0001/acref-9780199234899-e-2138?rskey=MqlhhJ&result=2217Google Scholar
- Ramsdal H, Skorstad EJ (2004) Privatisering fra innsiden. Fagbokforlaget, BergenGoogle Scholar
- Schedler K, Proeller I (2010) Outcome-oriented public management. IAP—Information Age Publishing, CharlotteGoogle Scholar
- Sørensen R (2009) En effektiv offentlig sektor. Universitetsforlaget, OsloGoogle Scholar
- Watson RT, Berthon PP, Pitt LF, Zinkhan GM (2000) Electronic commerce—the strategic perspective. Harcourt College Publishers, Fort WorthGoogle Scholar