Informative Gene Discovery in DNA Microarray Data Using Statistical Approach
- 632 Downloads
Preventing, diagnosing, and treating disease is greatly facilitated by the availability of biomarkers. Recent improvements in bioinformatics technology have facilitated large-scale screening of DNA microarrays for candidate biomarkers. Here we discuss a gene selection method, which is called LEAve-one-out Forward selection method (LEAF), for discovering informative genes embedded in gene expression data, and propose an additional algorithm for extending LEAF’s capabilities. LEAF is an iterative forward selection method incorporating the concept of leave-one-out cross validation (LOOCV) and provides a discrimination power score (DPS) for genes, which is a criterion for selecting the candidate of informative genes. We show that LEAF identifies genes that are practically used as biomarkers. Our method should be useful bioinformatics tool for biomedical, clinical, and pharmaceutical researchers.
KeywordsBiomarkers Data mining Gene expression profiles Cancer classification
A part of this work was supported by Promotion for Young Research Talent and Network from Northern Advancement Center for Science & Technology (NOASTEC Japan) and Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) No.21700233 from MEXT Japan.
- 2.Turck, Chris (Ed.) (2009) Biomarkers for Psychiatric Disorders. Springer, U.S.Google Scholar
- 3.Kevin Ahern, Ph.D. (2009) GEN Best of the Web. Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News 29(8):66Google Scholar
- 4.Fukuta K, Nagashima T, Okada Y (2010) Leaf: leave-one-out forward selection method for cancer classification using gene expression data. Proceedings of The 9th IEEE/ACIS International Conference on Computer and Information Science, ICIS 2010, 18–20, August, pages 31–36Google Scholar
- 5.Fukuta K, Okada Y (2011) Leaf: Leave-one-out forward selection method for gene selection in dna microarray data. Lecture Notes in Engineering and ComputerScience: Proceedings of The International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists 2011, IMECS 2011, 16–18 March, Hong Kong, pages 175–180Google Scholar
- 8.Gordon GJ, Jensen RV, Hsiao LL, Gullans SR, Blumenstock JE, Ramaswamy S, Richards WG, Sugarbaker DJ, Bueno R (2002) Translation of microarray data into clinically relevant cancer diagnostic tests using gene expression ratios in lung cancer and mesothelioma. Cancer Res 62:4963–4967Google Scholar