Probabilistic Properties of Parametric Roll
- 1.4k Downloads
The chapter considers statistical properties of parametric roll; the source of data is numerical simulation of parametric roll of a C11 class container carrier in head seas. The characteristics considered include estimates of spectral density, autocorrelation function. Special attention is paid to uncertainty of estimates of mean value and variance.
KeywordsAutocorrelation Function Variance Estimate Roll Angle Roll Motion Irregular Wave
This work was supported by Office of Naval Research (ONR) under Dr. L. Patrick Purtell. The development of the LAMP System has been supported by the US Navy, the Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the US Coast Guard, ABS, and SAIC.
- 1.Belenky, V.: On risk evaluation at extreme seas. Proc of 7th International Ship Stability Workshop, Shanghai, China (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Belenky, V.: On long numerical simulations at extreme Seas. Proc. of 8th International Ship Stability Workshop, Istanbul, Tyrkey (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Belenky, V., Weems, K. M., Lin, W. M., Paulling, J. R.: Probabilistic analysis of roll parametric resonance in head seas, Proc. of 8th International Conference on Stability of Ships and Ocean Vehicles, Madrid, Spain (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Belenky, V. L., Yu, H. C., Weems, K.: Numerical Procedures and practical experience of assessment of parametric roll of container carriers. Proc. of the 9th International Conference on Stability of Ships and Ocean Vehicle (STAB’06), Vol. 1, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, pp. 119–130 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Belenky, V., Weems, K. M.: Procedure for probabilistic evaluation of large amplitude roll motions. Proc. of the Osaka Colloquium on Seakeeping and Stability of Ships, Osaka, Japan (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Degtyarev, A. B.: New approach to wave weather scenarios modeling. Proc. of 8th International Ship Stability Workshop, Istanbul, Turkey (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.France, W. N., Levadou, M., Treakle, T. W., Paulling, J. R., Michel, R. K., Moore, C.: An Investigation of Head-Sea Parametric Rolling and its Influence on Container Lashing Systems. Marine Technology 40(1):1–19 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Hashimoto, H. N., Umeda, N., Matsuda, A., Nakamura, S.: Experimental and numerical studies on parametric roll of a post-panamax container ship in irregular waves, Proc. of the 9th International Conference on the Stability of Ships and Ocean Vehicles, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Vol. 1, pp. 181–190 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Neves, M. A. S., Rodrguez, C. A.: Nonlinear aspects of coupled parametric rolling in head seas, Proc. of the 10th Internatinal Symposium on Practical Design of Ships and Other Floating Structures, Houston, TX (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Pristley, M. B.: Spectral analysis and time series. Academic Press, London (1981)Google Scholar
- 11.Shin, Y. S., Belenky, V. L., Paulling, J. R., Weems, K. M., Lin, W. M.: Criteria for parametric roll of large containerships in longitudinal seas, SNAME Trans-112 (2004)Google Scholar