Kidney Transplantation — Current Perspective
The technique of renal transplantation, with the creation of an extra-peritoneal pouch in the groin and anastomosis of the renal artery and vein to the iliac vessels, has remained standard practice since it was devised in the 1950s. In experienced centres the rate of early technical complications is extremely low. Late complications include renal artery stenosis and ureteric stricture with the development of hydronephrosis. Both these problems are amenable to surgical correction and encouraging results have been reported with Gruntzig Balloon Dilatation for renal artery stenosis (i).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mollenkopf F, Matas A, Veith FJ. Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty for transplant rpnal artery stenosis. Transplant Proc 1983; 15: 1089–91.Google Scholar
- 3.Ting A, Morris PJ. Renal transplantation and B-cell cross-matches with autoantibodies and alloantibodies. Lancet 1977;ii:1095–7.Google Scholar
- 7.Bodmer WF, Batchelor JR, Bodmer JG, Festenstein H, Morris PJ, eds. Histocompatibility testing (Report of the 7th International Histocompatibility Workshop and Conference, Oxford) Copenhagen: Munsgaard, 1977.Google Scholar
- 11.Salvatierra JR, Vincenti W, Amend Jr M, et al. Four-year experience with donor-specific blood transfusions. Transplant Proc 1983; 15: 924–31.Google Scholar
- 12.Editorial. Blood transfusions and renal transplantation. Lancet 1978; ii:193–4.Google Scholar
- 16.Singal DP, Fagnilli L, Joseph S. Blood transfusions induce anti-idiotypic antibodies in renal transplant patients. Transplant Proc 1983; 15: 1005–8.Google Scholar
- 19.Salaman JR, Griffin PJA, Price K. High or low dose steroids for immunosuppression. Transplant Proc 1983; 15: 1086–8.Google Scholar
- 20.Morris PJ. Cyclosporin A. Transplantation 1982; 32: 349–54.Google Scholar
- 22.European Multicentre Trial. Cyclosporin A as sole immunosuppressive agent in recipients of kidney allografts from cadaver donors. Lancet 1982;ii:57–60.Google Scholar
- 26.Wood RFM. Immunological monitoring after renal transplantation. In: Morris PJ, ed. Kidney transplantation, principles and practice. London, Orlando, New York Grune & Straffon, 2nd edition 1984.Google Scholar
- 27.Carter NP, Cullen PR, Thompson JF, Bewick ALT, Wood RFM, Morris PJ. Monitoring lymphocyte subpopulations in renal allograft recipients. Transplant Proc 1983; 15: 1157–9.Google Scholar
- 28.Chatenoud L, Chkoff N, Kreis H, Bach JF. Correlation between immunoregulatory T-cell imbalances and renal allograft outcome. Transplant Proc 1983; 15: 1184–5.Google Scholar